What's new

battery indicator stalled while charging

psv

I have a strange problem which appeared, I think, after the Anniversary update: when charging, the battery indicator shows the same number, say 35%, for a long time. If I unplug, it jumps to the correct value, say 57%, but if I don't, it just stays constant (well, mostly - sometimes it jumps also when charging, but by large numbers). Is it working normally for you? Microsoft support suggested that they would replace my SP4 if the problem persists after factory reset (it does), but I'd like to check with others before doing so.

Last edited:

SNLJ

I had this happen for the first time today. Not a huge issue for me. I certainly have bigger ones with this computer.

OP
P

psv

I had this happen for the first time today. Not a huge issue for me. I certainly have bigger ones with this computer.

I wouldn't really care, but I worry about consequences for the battery if the system gets wrong values (I've had this issue for a month and it's not going away). Also, as nobody else (well, besides you now) reported this problem, it may be something hardware-related.

rcwilkinson

I have this issue also!

Are you going to ask for a replacement from MS? I was wondering if I ought to as well. I've also experience some other interesting battery issues.....

Ross

p.s. is happens whether plugged in via the standard charger, or MS dock

Last edited:
OP
P

psv

I have this issue also!

Are you going to ask for a replacement from MS? I was wondering if I ought to as well. I've also experience some other interesting battery issues.....

Ross

p.s. is happens whether plugged in via the standard charger, or MS dock

Did it start with the Anniversary Update? I'm not yet sure about asking for replacement (it was what online Microsoft support suggested, but perhaps it is a software issue, thought only few people seem to have it).

rcwilkinson

To be honest....I dont know

I only started observing yesterday. I am monitoring my battery closely now, as it managed to crash from 65% in power to 0%, in a matter of 10mins. (see other thread). So, naturally I'm a bit concerned that it's a hardware prob

Ross

polbit

Mine's doing the same thing suddenly. Doesn't really effect anything, just have to unplug/plug it back in, but annoying. I would certainly not return the unit just for that, if everything else is working...

OP
P

psv

Mine's doing the same thing suddenly. Doesn't really effect anything, just have to unplug/plug it back in, but annoying. I would certainly not return the unit just for that, if everything else is working...

Besides unplug/plug you can also try checking for updates in the Settings - in my case it updates the battery level to the right value (why? it's totally beyond me). Also checking for update of any driver in the Device Manager does the same thing.

kristalsoldier

Did it start with the Anniversary Update? I'm not yet sure about asking for replacement (it was what online Microsoft support suggested, but perhaps it is a software issue, thought only few people seem to have it).

In my experience, yes. I have noticed this post the AU. Its sometimes a bit disconcerting! I have observed this behaviour for some time though, which means I have consistently checked if the unit is charging. Now that I am a bit more confident that it charges all right, I pretty much ignore it. But yes, I do notice this issue post the AU.

rcwilkinson

Hi guys, for those with this issue - do your battery ever get to 100%, even when you do the 'unplug/plug' trick, or 'updates check' trick?

Mine stops at 99% and never improves on '05mins to full charge'....

Last edited:

muhdhadi91

Hey guys. I have the exact problem too after the anniversary update!! What should I do? Just bought my surface pro 4 1 month ago

bluegrass

No big deal. I never check the indicator while it's charging. I only look at the battery level indicator once in a while if I'm out boon docking and been off the grid for awhile. I certainly wouldn't trade my Surface for an unknown if that is the only problem you're having. I would only become concerned if when you're fully charged, the battery doesn't allow you to use your Surface for an acceptable amount of time.

Always backup important data once in awhile to give you a hedge for a bad disaster. Don't worry about the small stuff. You can always reinstall your software.