What's new

Battery Life, More accurate reporting!!

dman27

how and why would you use this device with a 35% brightness for extended periods?
you cant even enjoy the beautiful colors that MS affords us. We need to really push for more user oriented reporting rather than say ridiculous statements like 6 hours is great with a barely visible screen.
That brightness will lead to extreme eye strain and fatigue over several hours.

Reporting that an i5 based SP3 gets 4 hours+ on 85% is more accurate and in my opinion, is a miracle of innovation.

It does none of us as consumers any good purpose to try to use such a brilliant decide in such a crippled manner and it gives move ammunition to the media to say MS overreached.

All that said, I really Love my SP3.
I'm just pushing for more real life usage reporting. As much as I steer others to the Sp3, I would be embarrassed to demo this beautiful unit to then at 35% brightness!!

Ask yourself, what brightness did Panos demo the unit for all of us at the unveiling?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't really bother me, hopefully (do not own one yet, waiting for release). Unless I'm watching videos, I normally have my brightness on minimum. I don't need beautiful colours to browse the net or type, I can happily sacrifice that for extra battery life. Doesn't effect my eyes one bit fortunately.

ctitanic

Doesn't really bother me, hopefully (do not own one yet, waiting for release). Unless I'm watching videos, I normally have my brightness on minimum. I don't need beautiful colours to browse the net or type, I can happily sacrifice that for extra battery life. Doesn't effect my eyes one bit fortunately.
Me neither! :cool:

wynand32

Buttery life sounds like clogged arteries

Hee hee, that cracked me up... Except, butter doesn't cause clogged arteries. Vegetable oil does, for sure, but not butter. Just have to point that out, because it's one of the great food myths (along with eggs being bad for you, which is the polar opposite of reality, and in general that saturated fat is unhealthy).

Anyways, back on topic, I agree that a dimmer screen is fine. I've left my SP3 on automatic brightness, and haven't felt like I was missing out on anything. Video is excellent at whatever brightness level the machine chooses, and really I find brighter screens to be less comfortable and to cause more eye strain than dimmer screens (to a point, of course).

cdf3

I experience eye strain when reading a lot of text at 35%. I've pushed it up to 45-50%, and don't experience as much eye fatigue.

OP
D

dman27

Love Butter and Eggs.

I find that possibly ok for night or very dark viewing, but my eyes are older and more sensitive to the banding (PWM) at levels below 65% or so.

I can't see many professionals using it that level for real world use (not saying you guys are not professional, but all day computing use ?).

I'm not sure what setting is 35%, but here is a video taken with the Samsung Note... Not sure you can see the alternating bands of light and dark here. The lowest I can take it without seeing those effects on the camera is much higher than 35%.

Regardless, the quoted battery life in most real world situations vs other laptop screen brightness is about 5-6 hours.

Last edited: