What's new

Battery Life TERRIBLE after last update

SeanP

I don't get it. I updated a few weeks ago to latest firmware and now, my battery is HALF of what it was. I am lucky if I can get 5 hours out of this.

Brightness at half.

Use Outlook, Gmail, and web surfing with IE as well. No video...No music...No Games. Office Suite as well . This is ridiculous.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done any of the Battery Reports? powercfg /energy to see what is using up you battery life?

OP
S

SeanP

No but I am a newbie on Windows or had been away for a while. Got rid of my MacAir. At this rate, I'm going to end up going back. I need to get 8 hours+.

Can you tell me how to do what you are suggesting and what I need to be looking for?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have process running using 20-30% CPU in Task Manager.

Run Command Prompt in Administrator mode. in the Desktop hold the start button a few seconds . A menu will popup... Select Command Prompt (Admin).
run these commands:
MD C:\Temp
CD C:\Temp
Powercfg /energy
The report will be saved in the temp directory.

leeshor

It seems we get at least one thread like this, about battery issues, for every other update. Maybe it's just me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems we get at least one thread like this, about battery issues, for every other update. Maybe it's just me.
I suspect its an update issue that leaves the system in an inconsistent state.

Maybe uninstalling the updates would work but its a long shot.

OP
S

SeanP

Here is a screenshot of the report that I have run.

I don't think it should still drain due to "screen timeout" being long. Makes no sense since I am using the screen continually and therefore would not want it timed out. I have brightness set very low when I am inside...approx. 30-40% brightness.

Any help I can get to determine what is happening based on the attached screenshot of the "warnings" would be helpful

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    130.9 KB · Views: 545

leeshor

Just an fyi that if you are using it continually, the screen will not timeout unless you have it set to 1 minute and even that is unlikely.

OP
S

SeanP

Just an fyi that if you are using it continually, the screen will not timeout unless you have it set to 1 minute and even that is unlikely.

Yes I know...I wouldn't want it to timeout when I am using it.

I spend, on battery (trains, airplanes, coffee shops, etc) a large amount of time unplugged.

Prior to the last couple updates, I would use it as follows and still do:

75% of the time using Gmail (Chrome used)
75% of the time Outlook is open
75% of the time IE is open using SFDC
50% of the time using Office (Word and Excel mostly)
75% of the time using IE for web surfing
50% of the time using Next Gen reader

I don't use to watch video or listen to music....that is the exception not the rule
I don't do ANY video gaming at all. Zero

This is strictly a work machine for me. No Netflix when on battery. Nothing. But obviously the screen is on continuously to get my work done.

Most of the time I am sending and receiving email or using Office for Word or Excel.

The other majority I am using it on the web (Facebook, articles, WSJ, etc).

As I said, under those conditions, I was getting at WORST 7 hours and sometimes 9.

Now, I am lucky to get 5 hours out of it.

This am I had 85% battery when I powered up. That was at 9am or 2:20 ago.

I am down now to 48%. that's 37% battery drain in 2:20? Huh? No overheating. Fan is not running at all and rarely does.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you upload the whole energy report?
Look in Task Manager at the App History Tab sort on CPU usage. Im guessing Chrome will be on top unless you have an even worse culprit running.

OP
S

SeanP

Yes Chrome is by FAR the worst.

Followed by System, IE Explorer, and System Interrupts.

However, ITunes and Netflix is there as well. Problem is, I never use those unless plugged in so while I understand it uses a lot of CPU time and energy, I'm plugged in for those.

I also use Chrome when plugged in as well when I can. I know it's a battery hog. Sometimes however it cannot be helped.

OP
S

SeanP

I'd upload it but it will not let me...saved it to desktop but saves as a webpage and I guess can't do that here.