What's new

Battery Life TERRIBLE after last update

ptrkhh

The one constant seems to be Desktop Windows Manager and Outlook as well as IE obviously being open
They shouldnt use anything more than 10%. Kill them if they do (okay, maybe not DWM, but certainly something would be wrong if DWM uses more than 10%)

kevinlevrone

I can't get more than 4 hours of battery life out of the SP3 (I have it for 4-5 days). On the SP2 I could get 6-7 hours :(

My powercfg /energy looks completely fine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compare reports and running tasks between them.
What Display brightness setting are you on, that might make a difference with larger screen but I wouldn't think that much.

I thought I would chime in and see if this is normal. I had a 100% charge and watched the series finale of Sons of Anarchy using VLC. The episode's run time is 1:17, and at the end I checked my battery and it was at 74%. This is after the update. Does that seem right?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't get more than 4 hours of battery life out of the SP3 (I have it for 4-5 days). On the SP2 I could get 6-7 hours :(

My powercfg /energy looks completely fine.
Give us more information, how is it configured? What applications are you using? Browser of Choice? Brightness Levels? Is it fully patched with all Firmware Updates?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I would chime in and see if this is normal. I had a 100% charge and watched the series finale of Sons of Anarchy using VLC. The episode's run time is 1:17, and at the end I checked my battery and it was at 74%. This is after the update. Does that seem right?
VLC MUI or Desktop? Brightness Level? How was the video encoded? No way to tell if it is normal without more information...

OP
S

SeanP

I just rebooted my SP3 from scratch. I'll post any differences but so far seems like I am back to getting approx. 8 hours on a charge. Think it stinks I had to start all over but wanted to make sure everything was clean.

Only thing I can't do is double click the pen top for screenshot into OneNote. I posted separate thread for help on that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Should I use the MUI VLC, or is there another media player that I can use to help out with battery life?
Any MUI App will work better than a Win32 Application as far as battery life is concerned, also using MP4 as a file format will vastly improve you battery life.