What's new

Battery not detected or plugged in, not charging

wbwillyb

I have been through all the "fixes" I could find on this site and others. Does anyone know of anyone that can repair my Surface? I watched the tear down video and this one seems to require someone with expertise.

Thoughts?

macster

Try cleaning the terminals of the receptacle on the S2 and the connector on the power cable (unplugged) and see what that does. Also clean around them.

M~

OP
W

wbwillyb

I tried cleaning them with alcohol. It's pretty clean. I have read that the battery management can drain the battery to a level where it won't charge unless you use a newer style charger. Pretty upset with the quality, < 2 years old. Not to mention that they don't repair only trade out for $320.....

Attachments

• IMG_20151016_165831915.jpg
    IMG_20151016_165831915.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20151016_165851989.jpg
    IMG_20151016_165851989.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 604

macster

I tried cleaning them with alcohol. It's pretty clean. I have read that the battery management can drain the battery to a level where it won't charge unless you use a newer style charger. Pretty upset with the quality, < 2 years old. Not to mention that they don't repair only trade out for $320.....

Can you provide a link to the newer style charger?

M~

OP
W

wbwillyb

macster

This is the one I have , says it's 2A - Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Micro...7&sr=1-3&keywords=microsoft+surface+2+charger

This is the Surface Pro 2 charger, ad says it is 3.6A output - http://www.amazon.com/100-240V-Charger-Adapter-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B00C6WSXTA

It was another thread that mentioned this. I have been scouring the internet for someone to repair this one but for $12.85 this might be worth a try. I'll see if I can find the reference thread.

If it was me, I would get the first one.

M~

OP
W

wbwillyb

I have that one, the OEM is 2A. The other thread on another site referenced using the pro2 plug that had the higher 3.6A output.

If anyone has some advice on a repair shop or another idea please let me know.