What's new

Best browser for SP3?

EMINENT

Use Chome all the way no matter what. IE interface is just a disaster compared to Chrome. It's like an Olympic Gold Medalist vs a Special Olympic Quadriplegic. I encourage anybody to use Chrome by far over any other browser.

I recommend everyone to avoid Chrome at all costs until they fix the battery drain.

IE11 immersive is just the better touch browser. Period. Buttery smooth and good battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Use Chome all the way no matter what. IE interface is just a disaster compared to Chrome. It's like an Olympic Gold Medalist vs a Special Olympic Quadriplegic. I encourage anybody to use Chrome by far over any other browser.
I can't stand Chrome's UI or any of Google's design esthetic for that matter.....

So flip your opinion and despite the poorly contrived and mildly offensive analogy I would agree.... Google's Chrome Browser is a poor excuse of an Application but works well as a Trojan....

joell85

If you feel you are missing the adblocking of the plugins available for Chrome or Firefox I highly recommend using your hosts file to block adds. I use the host file at the link below on all my computers, and I find improves my experience greatly.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

macmee

I use metro IE because Chrome is crap on the Surface right now.

I'm immensely annoyed by this because I want adblock plus. Youtube ads specifically drive me crazy.

JeffGr

I really like the Metro version of IE and find that I'm using it pretty regularly for casual use. It works great with touch and the "read" mode is especially nice for articles.

What I don't understand is Microsoft's decision to ban all plug-ins with the browser as it does significantly reduce its usability beyond simple reading and basic media use. The inability to integrate a password manager (I use Lastpass) or other power user tools means that I still need a desktop browser much of the time. For the most part, I keep returning to Chrome, largely out of habit, and because of how well it integrates with the Google services.

Obviously, it is great that the SP3 supports desktop browsers, but I really think this lockdown of the Metro IE is something that Microsoft needs to give up on.

-Jeff

EMINENT

I really like the Metro version of IE and find that I'm using it pretty regularly for casual use. It works great with touch and the "read" mode is especially nice for articles.

What I don't understand is Microsoft's decision to ban all plug-ins with the browser as it does significantly reduce its usability beyond simple reading and basic media use. The inability to integrate a password manager (I use Lastpass) or other power user tools means that I still need a desktop browser much of the time. For the most part, I keep returning to Chrome, largely out of habit, and because of how well it integrates with the Google services.

Obviously, it is great that the SP3 supports desktop browsers, but I really think this lockdown of the Metro IE is something that Microsoft needs to give up on.

-Jeff

I had that problem. I now use LastPass as a cloud backup on desktop IE for sensitive sites, like banking.
Other sites like forums, I just let IE save those now. So easy to just let IE manage those. Easily the best decision I've made so far as those passwords follow me on all my devices now. No Last Pass needed anymore and if I do, there's desktop version with LastPass plugin and then there's always the Lastpass app.