What's new

Best docking station for SP3 (multiple display option)

JesseDiaz

IMHO, if you want a docking station, I think the best one is the MS docking station: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/accessories/pro3-docking-station -- that will get you 2 mini-DP connectors.

On the other hand, if you want 4 monitors, you may be better off with a desktop computer that has a 4 port video card.
I wanted to make sure I had this right and if I did, I want to make it clear that the docking station does not have 2 mini display ports. It has one and give you a total of 2 mini display ports. You have to use the one on your SP3 also

JesseDiaz

True, if you don't have DP 1.2-compliant external monitors; USB 3.0-connected monitors work great and I never had any lag issues when I used that configuration.

But if you have the ability to go DP 1.2, then daisy-chaining via DP 1.2 is definitely your best option.
Yep...I tried this with two monitors...works perfect. The only thing I couldn't do is use one external monitor to mirror my SP3 and the other external monitor to extend my SP3. No matter what I did I could not achieve this. It would show that it was going to do it ( on the windows dialog box ) but when I did APPLY, it said NO NO NO.
I am amble to mirror the two external monitors but that was it

Nuspieds

Yep...I tried this with two monitors...works perfect. The only thing I couldn't do is use one external monitor to mirror my SP3 and the other external monitor to extend my SP3. No matter what I did I could not achieve this. It would show that it was going to do it ( on the windows dialog box ) but when I did APPLY, it said NO NO NO.
I am amble to mirror the two external monitors but that was it
Yeah, same here.

I'd bet that it is either a limitation of DP 1.2 daisy-chaining or a limitation/bug in Windows. The fact that the option is there indicates to me that it should be possible. As such, I'm thinking if the monitors were connected independently rather than via daisy chain, then that would probably work.

JesseDiaz

Yeah, same here.

I'd bet that it is either a limitation of DP 1.2 daisy-chaining or a limitation/bug in Windows. The fact that the option is there indicates to me that it should be possible. As such, I'm thinking if the monitors were connected independently rather than via daisy chain, then that would probably work.
Yep that's what Im going to try next.....Ive been eyeing this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814997003&cm_re=mst_hub-_-14-997-003-_-Product
I don't plan on using 3 monitors but.....

Nuspieds

MST devices are still in their infancy and if you look around the Internet, you will see posts by people with all sorts of issues which indicate that the technology requires more maturing.

Still, I'd try it out and if it didn't work, then I'd fall back to plain old USB for one of the monitors.

drolem

You have to use the one on your SP3 also
That's correct, and I should've written " that will get you a grand total of 2 mini-DP connectors. I'm not sure how much 'display' you can get out of those, I believe you can drive at least two 2560x1600 monitors via DP.

In addition, an important side (?!) benefit of the MS docking station is a few USB 2/3 ports and a gigabit Eth port, all this while leaving the original USB3 port available.

JesseDiaz

That's correct, and I should've written " that will get you a grand total of 2 mini-DP connectors. I'm not sure how much 'display' you can get out of those, I believe you can drive at least two 2560x1600 monitors via DP.

In addition, an important side (?!) benefit of the MS docking station is a few USB 2/3 ports and a gigabit Eth port, all this while leaving the original USB3 port available.

So with the MS docking station giving you an extra DP..that doesn't mean you can connect more than the 2 external monitors ( and your sp3 ) right? There is still that limitation

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Correct... the only way to get more than 3 QHD Monitors is to use USB 3.0 Display Adapters. I believe if you have 3 external 1080 monitors it would work, its not a monitor issue but a Max Resolution issue....

drolem

So with the MS docking station giving you an extra DP..that doesn't mean you can connect more than the 2 external monitors ( and your sp3 ) right? There is still that limitation
That depends on the resolution of the monitors -- the Intel video has some limit (can't remember the exact number) and I believe you can connect at least 3 or maybe 4 1920x1080 monitor, but only two 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitors. (of course the former with MST hubs, or DP out monitors) . This is the hardware limitation of the HD 5000, and once you reach it, additional displays must be USB.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The i3, i5, and i7 chips support 3 displays. I don't think USB anything changes that.
[ addition Oh, yes an external USB 3 display adapter ... but you have to be concerned with total bandwidth consumption as a high res USB display adapter can be a hog. you really need 10gb thunderbolt for this vs 5gb USB]
The i3 graphics is the 4200 graphics with 20 execution units @ 200 - 850 mhz
The i5 is 4400 with 20 EU @ 200 - 1100 MHz
and i7 is 5000 with 40 EU @ 200 - 1100 MHz

Here's an Intel hard to read doc with details. I skimmed it quickly and didn't see what resolution limits were in play.

Forgot to mention I'm using a Targus USB 3 docking station which I chose because it lays flat vs the standup Pluggable units.

Last edited:

drolem

Here's an Intel hard to read doc with details. I skimmed it quickly and didn't see what resolution limits were in play.
As per https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics
DisplayPort* 1.2 / eDP*
H-Processors: 3840 x 2160@60Hz (Ultra-HD)
U-Processors: 3200 x 2000 @60 Hz, 3840x2160@30Hz
Y-Processors: 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
HDMI* 4096 x 2304, 3840x2160 @ 24Hz / 24bpp
DVI 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
Assuming the SP3 has an H CPU -- it has enough bandwidth for two 2560x1600 or four 1920x1080 displays, but it only supports 3 independent digital displays. :(

IMHO, I'd just go with two 30", 2560x1600 LCDs. But if someone needs more, there are many USB3 to various video adapters for that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As per https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics
Assuming the SP3 has an H CPU -- it has enough bandwidth for two 2560x1600 or four 1920x1080 displays, but it only supports 3 independent digital displays. :(

IMHO, I'd just go with two 30", 2560x1600 LCDs. But if someone needs more, there are many USB3 to various video adapters for that.
The processor options in a SP3 are i3 4020y, i5 4300u, i7 4650u sorry no H's or HQs. I should have included that above ... tried to be brief... and thanks for including the link that I forgot. Doh!