What's new

Solved best method to upgrade to windows 10?

Best way to upgrade SP3 to Win 10

• install From the pop up reminder

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Refresh after install

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • From ISO file (if it exists)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other way

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is no such thing as an upgrade, even using the Windows Update is a technically a clean deployment with the restoration of the User State.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO using the Media Creation Tool is the best. You can use it for multiple scenarios, create bootable USB or iso to save a copy and you are in total control. It's good to be familiar with it. I wish they would adapt it for use with the Recovery Images also for creating bootable USB recovery drives.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Details, Details. ;);)
Ever since Windows Vista, any upgrade has been a user state capture, which is put into protected space and the WIM file is applied then user state is reapplied and then the protected space is deleted and the Windows partition is extended.

leeshor

Ever since Windows Vista, any upgrade has been a user state capture, which is put into protected space and the WIM file is applied then user state is reapplied and then the protected space is deleted and the Windows partition is extended.
That was supposed to be funny. I wasn't ACTUALLY asking for details. ;);). After all, I'm in the business.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That was supposed to be funny. I wasn't ACTUALLY asking for details. ;);). After all, I'm in the business.
I thought so.... but just in case others were asking the same question in their heads I thought I would go ahead and reply... :)

OP
J

johnj2803

nice to know! :D thanks for answering the "joke" :D

ScottyS

My SP3 wouldn't complete the upgrade, it kept getting stuck and then rolled back to Win8.1. Since I had partitioned the HD to run Win10TP on a 50GB partition, I copied all my files to that partition (or had them on mSD card or OneDrive), did a complete install from a recovery USB disk I made in Win8.1. As soon as it was up and running update said there were 391 updates to apply. I let it do that (took about 40 minutes) and as soon as that was done it said the Win10 upgrade was ready to install. It's been running great ever since.

As @jnjroach points out, it's not an upgrade but a new clean installation with it then applying the user state. But I think letting it apply all the Win8.1 updates helped it be ready for the upgrade and having my user state be only the default install helped it give me a clean well running Win10. Sure I had to re-install all the apps I had and move files back to Documents, Desktop, etc. but my system runs great and I am having no problems like display driver crashes or BSOD as others have.