What's new

Best Miracast/Widi device for SP3?

I use Chromecast but since I don't want to run Chrome on my SP3 (due to excessive battery drain), I want to use Miracast/Widi connection so I can mirror or extend my SP3 screen to my TV.

Can anyone recommend a device that works well with SP3? Of course, at a reasonable price. :)

Thanks!

zhenya

The Roku streaming stick works, is inexpensive, and can double as a media player even without your Surface.

bluegrass

Not sure what the OP's trying to do. The Roku stick or the Roku3 that I have are for cutting the cord with cable or satellite & have nothing to do with wirelessly displaying your SP3 screen on the TV. You might be able to find an app that would allow you to use your SP3 to control and search for video content but the controller that comes with Roku does that very well. I think you might be looking for a device such as a Microsoft Wireless Video, which is a Miracast device for wirelessly displaying your SP3 on a TV or projector. Ya. I'd stay clear of anything that uses Chrome on the SP3.

zhenya

The Roku stick and the Roku 3 support Miracast directly and allow you to wirelessly display your SP3 just as the Microsoft device does. The Roku stick just does it cheaper and also gives you all the benefits of a Roku at the same time.

JoeNathan78

I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. Works like a charm. A little steep at $60 but I think its well worth it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Netgear PTV3000, ScreenBeam Pro and a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and all work well. The ScreenBeam Pro is the most consistent and stable, the MWDA is the most mobile.

OP
N

next_milenium

Thanks all for your replies.

One of the main thing I'm trying to do is:

"Extend" (not mirror) SP3 display onto my TV so I can stream a video on it and still be able to use SP3 for other things like browsing, etc.

Is this possible with Roku?

I'm guessing I can bypass SP3 and just use Roku since the videos I'm trying to stream is on Dailymotion website?

Can anyone with Roku do me a favor and see if you can play this video example using Roku and tell me how's the quality?

Thanks!

http://www.joovideo.net/ViewMedia.aspx?Num=2322&ep=234

bluegrass

I had never heard of DailyMotion before. I just went to their website and I see it is a website that competes with YouTube. Like zhenya said, with Roku you can add DailyMotion as a channel on Roku just like YouTube is a channel. If watch your videos via Roku than there is no need to even connect your Surface to Roku. It would probably be even cleaner coming directly through Roku to your TV rather than going logging into DailyMotion on your Surface and than screen casting your Surface to the TV through Roku. As an off topic question, is there suppose to be an advantage to storing your videos on DailyMotion rather then YouTube?

OP
N

next_milenium

I had never heard of DailyMotion before. I just went to their website and I see it is a website that competes with YouTube. Like zhenya said, with Roku you can add DailyMotion as a channel on Roku just like YouTube is a channel. If watch your videos via Roku than there is no need to even connect your Surface to Roku. It would probably be even cleaner coming directly through Roku to your TV rather than going logging into DailyMotion on your Surface and than screen casting your Surface to the TV through Roku. As an off topic question, is there suppose to be an advantage to storing your videos on DailyMotion rather then YouTube?

I don't really upload any videos to Dailymotion. I do use that site because it has a lot of Korean drama videos.

I wonder if Roku let's you add a website to stream video from or do you have to use those pre-loaded websites only?