What's new

Best Miracast/Widi device for SP3?

zhenya

As far as I know there is no way to stream random web video directly on the Roku, but that's when you would use the miracast ability and stream it from your Surface.

Haldi

if you wan't to go the comlicated way, buy any AndroidStick or something that runs XBMC (aka KODI), use the deepLink to the video you're planing to watch (Start the stream on your computer, use AddBlock+ odr uBlock to locate the http://178.172.2.4/stream/swqeruqhwiehqwui/nqeqwe/video.mp4 or whatever the Deeplink for your IP adress is) and you can use a JSON RPC command (just enter a web adress in the browser, will answer with an xml file but start the stream/video) to play it on XBMC.
Code:
http://192.168.1.15/jsonrpc?request={%20%22jsonrpc%22:%20%222.0%22,%20%22method%22:%20%22Player.Open%22,%20%22params%22:%20{%20%22item%22:%20{%20%22file%22:%20%22www.stream.com%22%20}%20},%20%22id%22:%201%20}%27
i use this with my RaspberryPi as it works with ALL websites/Videos. It's a hassle if you have to do it ever 3 minutes, but when it's once every 2 hours then thats okay :) depends on the lengt of your videos.

You can also stream your desktop like this.
Simply use VLC player to capture your desktop and stream it via http:// and play it in XBMC.
This also has 1-3 seconds delay! Due to buffering in XBMC.

Cyb3rDud3

I'm using a Belkin F7D7501. It is the only one I could confirm to support the hdmi 2.0 standard and thus provides that bandwidth headroom. I've so far tried it on my Samsung 60" plasma, my Epson Projector, our Sony Brava LCD, my Dell 3008 desktop monitor, and in two meeting rooms and two hotel rooms. Works flawlessly for me.

bluegrass

Definitely the best way to watch anything from the Web on your TV is to buy a wireless video adapter that plugs into your computer and sends a signal to the wireless receiver plugged into a HDMI port on your TV. I've had one for over a year that I purchased from Amazon for about $150.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think i'm just going to get the WDA come end of the school year. I've a dedicated htpc with terabytes of harddrives for my HD collection, but there are often instances where i'd just like to use my sp3 instead of searching around for a usb stick to stick a few episodes on the tv (currently downloading 12gb of old school scooby doo, legally of course :)).

Luckily (????????) for me i don't have wifi at home, and only a couple of very weak neighbour networks, so fingers crossed there won't be too much interference. The lack of wifi at home also accompanies the lack of internet, so the likes of roku sticks are out of the question even though they do look pretty nifty. Maybe one day i'll get with the times and get internet so i can stream me some youtube (thank f*** for my terabytes of harddrives, although just about done re-watching content now. Probably on my 30th back to back re-run of trailer park boys. It's beginning to get old now.)

I know chris panzer was saying WDA was worthless for anything but photos, but is it really that bad? I swear i watched a few youtube videos a while back that said that it worked just fine for SD video streaming.

Alternatively, anyone know what the longest mDP to HDMI cable is without needing some kind of signal booster box? I'd search myself but well, 750mb of mobile bandwidth a month, i have to be picky about usage. I like to keep a much as i can available for this forum :)

bells0

I bought a Roku stick. Worked great at mirroring my SP3 the first time i tried. But that was it, couldn't get the blooming thing to connect again. It tried, but just timed out. Returned it.

Shall just use my xbox one for now, but do want a device for holidays, so will keep my eye out for the MS version on ebay, seen as the retail price in the UK is a joke!!

bluegrass

I bought a Roku stick. Worked great at mirroring my SP3 the first time i tried. But that was it, couldn't get the blooming thing to connect again. It tried, but just timed out. Returned it.

Shall just use my xbox one for now, but do want a device for holidays, so will keep my eye out for the MS version on ebay, seen as the retail price in the UK is a joke!!

My experience with Roku 3 mirroring was that it connected fine but it couldn't transfer data from the Surface fast enough. If you tried to play a video it just bogged down. I'm sure it will improve. The Roku mirroring app is still beta.