What's new

Best Practice when docking and undocking

Vaughan

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 docking station and from time to time when I undock the Surface Pro 3, it doesn't come back up unless I do a hard reset by holding down the power button for 15sec+

I can't find any information about whether you have to power off the device fully before docking and undocking or whether you can do it when it is sleep mode.

Does anyone have a view on this. I.e. is there a best practice when docking and undocking?

guymalloc

Personally, I have the Surface Pro 1, and I never doc or undock, OR add/remove the type cover, unless I fully power down the Surface. Because of this, I believe, I have never had a problem with either the dock, or the type cover. I also NEVER remove a usb device without using 'safely remove' even though my usb drives are all set for quick removal. DriveGleam also lets me be sure disk writes are complete before any removal. I'm a little more paranoid than most people, but hard lessons since the DOS days have made me that way, even though the hardware is so much more robust and reliable now.

foghat

While I have not read anything official about it, you should be able to dock/undock anytime you want. I do and have not experienced any issues thus far. This said, I am not surprised you have and I expect I will at some point.

These units are not exactly the most reliable when it comes to waking up from sleep and such - dock or not

toaf

i drop mine in. pull it out while on (even when it's hot as hell) i have not had any issue, but i do think somehting is up with my power cover. but thats another story

everyday, drop in dock when i get home from work, undock when i take it to bed.. . well.. it stays on my nightstand....