What's new

Best Router for Surface Pro 3 - Please recommend

clrk9000

For those people who have NOT experienced wifi issues, please do post what wireless router you are using.

I am currently using a Linksys EA4500 and I have the dreaded WIFI Limited issue. I really love this Surface Pro 3 and I am willing to change router just to keep this.

Thanks!

ps. yes the MAX PERFORMANCE setting works for me but the fan keeps on spinning most of the time and I worry soon the dust and lints will clog it. I am using this tablet while in bed and based on past experience with laptop, lints will find its way inside and cause problems later on.

bamaster

Rather than buy a new wireless router, how about buying a nice access point. I have an old D-Link DIR-825 wireless router, but I turned off the wireless. I added an external AP to extend range.

I use Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range AP.
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Access-UAP-LR-US-Version/dp/B005H4CDF4

I get full bandwidth in every corner of my house, which the D-Link was unable to do. Super easy to add. I would keep your Linksys and try a Ubiquiti UniFi AP. Return it if it doesn't work. I did not experience any wifi limited issues on my SP3, on or off battery, without fooling with power profiles.

:)

ctitanic

ps. yes the MAX PERFORMANCE setting works for me but the fan keeps on spinning most of the time and I worry soon the dust and lints will clog it. I am using this tablet while in bed and based on past experience with laptop, lints will find its way inside and cause problems later on.

If the fan is working permanently you may have a different issue. Having MAX Performance may affect your battery life but will never affect your CPU performance or temperature.

DanL

I'm not sure you need to spend money on a new router when a firmware update could roll out anytime and make this irrelevant.

As far as other routers, I'm using Netgear 3800 on N 2.4GHz. I've never experienced the disconnect issue. I can disconnect the power cable and watch the network sharing center show idle speed drop from around 65Mbps to 16Mbps. But if I do a line speed test on battery power it seems to ramp up to the same speed as plugged in. Not much of an issue for me.

malberttoo

Then again, some folks would prefer the tidiness of not having to add yet another piece of networking gear to the shelf (e.g., adding a WAP onto an existing router)...

bamaster

Adding an AP is probably a less expensive solution than upgrading to a new AC router. And the one I suggest is certain to give better range, albeit on 2.4GHz. I have a capped 30MB down on my home Comcast line and I get 27 MB in every room of my house and even in my backyard, through brick walls. That's the same speed if I were on ethernet.

Adding a long range AP is an option that allows the OP to keep his existing router and also remove the Max Power profile, which is probably causing heat and fan issues, and it will probably be cheaper than a new AC router. Besides, the Ubiquiti is designed to be ceiling mounted, so it's out of the way... mine is on a bookshelf.

Last edited:
OP
C

clrk9000

Hi ctitanic
If the fan is working permanently you may have a different issue. Having MAX Performance may affect your battery life but will never affect your CPU performance or temperature.

Wow, this is making me worry there is something really wrong with my Surface Pro 3 !!!

OP
C

clrk9000

I did a Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows. Immediately after, I set it to Never Check for Updates. Installed all my usual softwares and apps. Everything is perfect and no more issue whatsoever including WIFI Limited. Very Happy now. I hope I did not post prematurely, knocking on wood now.

Thinking of returning and getting the i7 :)!

OP
C

clrk9000

Spoke too soon. I left my SP3 on battery and when I started it 5 hours later - WIFI Limited. This is really frustrating. I guess MAX PERFORMANCE or a new router is the only viable solution now.