Best Way to Read Kindle Books??

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by DLCPhoto, May 15, 2018.

1. WHBizlaw

WHBizlaw New Member

My Device:
    Other
    If she currently uses Overdrive, they have a native app called Libby that I use on my Surface Pro. Overdrive also allows her to download a checked out book directly to the Kindle app as well and I believe that they auto-sync so she can switch between devices without losing her place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DLCPhoto likes this.
  2. TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    If I were you I would purchase a Kindle ($125) and a Samsung Tab A 10" tablet ($250). You are all in at $375 and she has everything she needs. I just can't read books on any of my tablets after reading them on an actual Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    I appreciate the reply.

She actually does have a Kindle, and uses this when reading outdoors. But inside, she much prefers the larger screen size of the Galaxy Tablet.

I looked at the older Samsung tablets, but am reluctant to spend money on a several generation old product, with an older OS which won't get updates for as long, with lower horsepower, etc. She does get frustrated at times with her current tablet, with lagging, poor performance, etc., beyond the horrible battery life.

Based on what I've read here, and elsewhere, I'm not going the Windows route, and am waiting for the Galaxy S4 to be released, hoping it will drop the S3 prices to a more reasonable level.

Thanks again.

4. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

5. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    Thanks.
    I have considered the Fire HD, but worry that the absence of the full Google 'ecosystem' could be problematic. The price is certainly right.

6. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

It's doesn't matter so much about all the apps in the Full Google ecosystem if all the apps you use or need are available via Amazon.

7. DLCPhoto

DLCPhoto Member

My Device:
    Surface 3 (Atom)
    True. But we're pretty tied into GMail, Chrome, Calendar, etc.

And I do know that you can install the full Google Play store, but from what I've been reading, things sometimes get quirky (e.g. Kindle), and issues need to be dealt with (disabling auto update for some apps, etc.).

I want this to be as problem-free and straight forward as possible for her (since I'll be the one having to trouble-shoot problems anyway), and I'm just not all that confident that with as much as we're tied into the full Android ecosystem (she with her S8, me with my Note 8), that this would be a smooth ride.

I haven't eliminated it as an option, though, and if the S3 doesn't drop in price significantly, will have to revisit it. Thanks for reminding me about it.

8. PCAnyWhere

PCAnyWhere Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I have SP4 and SB2 13 and use a Kindle paperwhite still. I would also use my iPhone7 Plus in a pinch.

9. TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I am the same. Have a SP4 and almost always read on my Paperwhite. I do have the Kindle app on my iPhone with it's widget setup so that, if out, and wishing to read for a few minutes I can swipe left and quick launch the book I want to read.

Edited: Corrected mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk