What's new

Best Way To Shut Down or Restart - Windows 8.1

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the Power permanent charm at the upper right of the Start window (Metro) of Windows 8.1 .
Now, I find that the fastest way to shut down or restart is to press the Windows key or the Windows logo on the base of my Surface, then tap this.

Screenshot (22).png

Screenshot (23).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, leeshor, that's a good tip. I've been using that shortcut created from a command for a long time, now. But I've also accidently clicked on it, and there is no confirmation step to make sure I meant to. This prompts a confirmation, as shown.

I use both methods.:)

Screenshot (24).png

Arizona Willie

That is strange!
I have Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 128 and my desktop ( which I am using now ) and neither one has either the Power Button or the Search icon in the upper right corner of the Metro interface.

Are you using the Service Pack 1 that has been released unofficially?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am using the updates from NGOHQ.com:

I installed the downloaded files from one of the sets at that link in the following order: KB2919442, KB2939087, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2938439, KB2937592.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Ok, you are using Windows 8.1.1 not Windows 8.1.
I figured you must be using the rogue update because my 8.1 does not have the power button and search in the upper right corner.

QUOTE=sharpcolorado;56184]I am using the updates from NGOHQ.com:

I installed the downloaded files from one of the sets at that link in the following order: KB2919442, KB2939087, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2938439, KB2937592.[/QUOTE]

CrippsCorner

I just right click on the Windows Button on the desktop and click on shut down... must take all of, what, 1/4 second :p