What's new

Better processor and graphics

Should the next generation Surface have graphics/processor or should it be upgradeable

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rankeao.cm

The SP3 is a great product, but I think it could improve when it come to its speed and graphics. I'm drafting and design student and I'm constantly running AutoCAD and Revit and the surface would be great to take around, but it need a better graphics card and better processor and the fact that is not upgradeable so if Microsoft could fix that people would buy more Surface... I hope Microsoft listens to its user and can get it right by the next surface

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Realistically who is doing that??? Can you name one vendor creating an ultramobile ultraportable with discrete graphics or upgradeable graphics.

Yes, the next version will have better GPU and CPU but it wont be that.

You can buy a Toughbook or ToughTablet but you pay a high price... that's what a custom tablet will cost you. If there's really a market for it someone will build one.

OP
R

Rankeao.cm

I'm not trying to be controversial, but Microsoft was targeting the SP3 at the students and businessmen because its portable and powerful and they brag about how it can replace your laptop however I feel it lacks that because it might be ok for the average user, but when it comes to running other programs like AutoCAD, Revit, Invetor, animation programs etc then no it can improve..

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not trying to be controversial, but Microsoft was targeting the SP3 at the students and businessmen because its portable and powerful and they brag about how it can replace your laptop however I feel lack it that because it might be ok for the average user, but when it comes to running other programs like AutoCAD, Revit, Invetor, animation programs etc then no it can improve..
So if it replaces some peoples laptops is it fair to say it can replace your laptop or must it replace ALL laptops to be able to make that claim?

Actually you're not talking about a laptop at all, you are referring to a Portable Workstation which is an entirely different class device.

But if you were a blogger and wanted to create controversy you'd blur the difference and pretend they are the same.

surfdock

I'd like to see an AMD APU-based system. Intel beats AMD on CPU hands down, but AMD is way ahead of Intel on GPU and has way better support in CAD and advanced graphics tools even without FirePro discrete graphics. I think an AMD APU can have a really good performance balance - just like on the xbox/playstation. I think the biggest concern is the power envelope. Intel has come a long way on power consumption in a very short time and I don't know how close AMD is.

BTW, I would edit the poll to say "non-Intel graphics" or "AMD/NVIDIA graphics" rather than discrete :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to see an AMD APU-based system. Intel beats AMD on CPU hands down, but AMD is way ahead of Intel on GPU and has way better support in CAD and advanced graphics tools even without FirePro discrete graphics. I think an AMD APU can have a really good performance balance - just like on the xbox/playstation. I think the biggest concern is the power envelope. Intel has come a long way on power consumption in a very short time and I don't know how close AMD is.

BTW, I would edit the poll to say "non-Intel graphics" or "AMD/NVIDIA graphics" rather than discrete :)
At what power level??? even at 15w if you let it go full speed you wouldn't be able to hold it. go turn on a 15W light bulb for 10 minutes then grab it with your hand.