What's new

Better processor and graphics

Should the next generation Surface have graphics/processor or should it be upgradeable

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surfdock

At what power level??? even at 15w if you let it go full speed you wouldn't be able to hold it. go turn on a 15W light bulb for 10 minutes then grab it with your hand.

Indeed.

I think the choice of CPU vs GPU can be balanced better for CAD and intensive graphics. Current generations of Intel and AMD solutions can adjust the voltage and frequency of the CPU vs GPU cores independently depending on demand and to meet a certain power and thermal envelopes. I believe that AMD is ahead of Intel on performance/watt for GPU, but far behind on CPU. But if the balance is shifted more towards GPU, AMD may have a play in this premium tablet space.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not trying to be controversial, but Microsoft was targeting the SP3 at the students and businessmen because its portable and powerful and they brag about how it can replace your laptop however I feel lack it that because it might be ok for the average user, but when it comes to running other programs like AutoCAD, Revit, Invetor, animation programs etc then no it can improve..
They did in fact target Business Customers and Students.... but squarely at those who were looking at buying the MBA and iPad or an Ultrabook and Android Tablet not the Mobile Workstation Segment. These are Ultrabook Replacement Devices not ThinkPad W530 or Dell M6800 Replacements....

With that said I know many who do CAD and 3D work on their SP3's

PS I don't want to back to the old 4 to 5 pound chunky expensive Tablet PCs of old.... all of you people who want powerful Discrete GPUs and Full Voltage CPU get yourself a Workstation and Tablet and let us have our thin Ultrabook Class Tablet :cool:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed.

I think the choice of CPU vs GPU can be balanced better for CAD and intensive graphics. Current generations of Intel and AMD solutions can adjust the voltage and frequency of the CPU vs GPU cores independently depending on demand and to meet a certain power and thermal envelopes. I believe that AMD is ahead of Intel on performance/watt for GPU, but far behind on CPU. But if the balance is shifted more towards GPU, AMD may have a play in this premium tablet space.
If someone could do it I believe they would have, that they haven't says they can't.

Broadwell Core-M 4.5w scores 50439 on 3D mark.
Can you point to an AMD solution that delivers in 4.5w to 10w package.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They did in fact target Business Customers and Students.... but squarely at those who were looking at buying the MBA and iPad or an Ultrabook and Android Tablet not the Mobile Workstation Segment. These are Ultrabook Replacement Devices not ThinkPad W530 or Dell M6800 Replacements....

With that said I know many who do CAD and 3D work on their SP3's

PS I don't want to back to the old 4 to 5 pound chunky expensive Tablet PCs of old.... all of you people who want powerful Discrete GPUs and Full Voltage CPU get yourself a Workstation and Tablet and let us have our thin Ultrabook Class Tablet :cool:
Well lets hear from them... if there's enough of a market ill build them a $6000 killer tablet. :)

OP
R

Rankeao.cm

I understand what you guys are saying and I love the Surface since it first came I was just exposing my point of view/constructive criticism (without trying to offend any one). I'm making a suggestion to improve a already excellent product to a better one. If you like the current model great get the basic
Surface Pro 3 - 64GB / Intel i3 but for those of us that want get to the most out of our surface a
Surface Pro 3 - 256GB / Intel i7 or even Surface Pro 3 - 512GB / Intel i7 with a better graphics and faster processor would be great... :);)

ctitanic

I vote its fine as is but there is no option for that.
Exactly. Basically, the SP3 is using the best mobile processor available on release date. Of course that the SP4 will bring something better but we need to be realistic we are talking about a Tablet.

So dreaming is good but to me the poll is a nonsense. Sorry.

daniielrp

I think more research should be put into external Graphics cards. Devices you can plug in when you want to play graphic intensive games, and unplug for portability. Here is something I found a while back that I would like to try:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1191969-external-gpu-for-laptops-supercharge-your-graphics/

That's already possible with Thunderbolt - but highly expensive, hundreds just for a caddy, then add in the graphics card...

It's why I was a bit excited when that MS employee lied and said the SP3 would have thunderbolt...

msolok

Any discreet GPU will have an impact on the size, weight, battery life and heat generated by the Surface. They would simply become too chunky, heavy, and hot to be useful and completely defeat the purpose of the Surface.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand what you guys are saying and I love the Surface since it first came I was just exposing my point of view/constructive criticism (without trying to offend any one). I'm making a suggestion to improve a already excellent product to a better one. If you like the current model great get the basic
Surface Pro 3 - 64GB / Intel i3 but for those of us that want get to the most out of our surface a
Surface Pro 3 - 256GB / Intel i7 or even Surface Pro 3 - 512GB / Intel i7 with a better graphics and faster processor would be great... :);)
What you're saying is fine in theory but you're running up against physics of energy and heat, to make things more powerful you need to vast increase cooling systems by either allowing for a faster fan or a thicker device to allow for more air flow, so faster fan will be a huge impact on battery life or thicker means 4-5 pound device with the current screen size...

USB 3.1 may bring the ability for better external peripherals...we'll need to wait and see.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What you're saying is fine in theory but you're running up against physics of energy and heat, to make things more powerful you need to vast increase cooling systems by either allowing for a faster fan or a thicker device to allow for more air flow, so faster fan will be a huge impact on battery life or thicker means 4-5 pound device with the current screen size...

USB 3.1 may bring the ability for better external peripherals...we'll need to wait and see.
Regardless any external components will have the same constraints.

It sounds like they want at least 3x performance with a minimum thermal load around 45w that will make for some interesting designs. of course the current whisper quiet fan is too loud so cooling will have to be a portable circulating liquid nitrogen system. :D