Solved Bizarre external display (dock) behavior

Discussion in 'Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3' started by Pastymage, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Pastymage

Pastymage New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I have a Pro 3 on Windows 10 (1607 - 14393.82).

This behavior just started earlier this week as far as I remember - it's fairly consistent now, and beginning to drive me insane.

95% of the time I use the surface through the dock with an external monitor, running at 1920x1080 with no scaling, and it looks fine. The problematic behavior is every time I open a new window, or un-minimize a window, or switch to a different open window, the entire display will "zoom out" about 5-10% (everything gets smaller and fuzzier), then go back to normal. It takes about a second. I recorded an animated gif of it, hopefully that makes things more clear.

Please help, I beg of you. :)

WTF-WiggleZoom.gif

2. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    That is strange. You're lucky it only happens for a second and then corrects itself. I would try plugging the external monitor directly into your Surface and see if it does the same thing. That way you can determine if it is a problem with the dock drier or hardware.

Here is my version and build of my OS: upload_2016-9-1_11-46-3.png

3. Pastymage

Pastymage New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hmm. I tried that, and the problem stopped. Though when I plugged the display and Surface back into the dock, the problem stayed gone. We'll see if it stays fixed through a reboot, but fingers crossed...

4. Relativity

Relativity Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Looks like the behavior when you rotate the screen. rotate your surface pro out of the dock and see what happens.

5. Pastymage

Pastymage New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    It still hasn't happened again since messing with the mini DP - I'm guessing at this point it was just not quite seated or something and the PnP was getting confused?

6. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Just a heads up on display port adapters. I build Surfaces all the time with docking stations. My boss general purchases after market adapters and not an official Microsoft adapter. I found that the adapters don't like to plug in very securely (doesn't plug in far enough to be seated properly} and I notices that the rubber cover on the adapter had a slant to them over the connector that was blocking the plug to push in all the way. I cut some of the rubber off and they then seated securely. I believe the slant was made to fit properly into the display port on the Surface but caused a seating problem on the docks.