What's new

Black Screen and Won't Wake - KB Hot Fix posted

motocoder

I personally don't have anything against Windows 10. I'm selling bunches of desktops with it installed. Portable devices (though yours may be just fine), especially with Skylake are having issues as are quite a few people with the ASUS Zenbook. (from an ASUS forum).

It's another one of those cases where people who don't have problems typically don't report that it's working fine. You only hear from those that ARE having problems.

Yes, it's very true that you only hear from people that are having problems. My Zenbook is not Skylake, nor is my wife's Zenbook, so maybe that's why we're not having issues.

motocoder

Notice in my post the link between the two faulty Microsoft products happen to be Microsoft's hardware. The fault is not with Microsoft's OS. Your desktop PC was assembled by a totally different OEM which has absolutely no relevance to the surface book fiasco. The problem here is the Surface Book and its drivers. Not Windows 10, nor your desktop running Windows 10. In addition, this is a discussion forum buddy. I am free to state my opinion and experiences regardless if they're positive or negative, given that I respect the forum rules.

Not sure who you think you are telling others where to take their posts but now may be a good time to get off your high horse. If I or anyone indirectly mentions something that bothers you, act like an adult; humble yourself and ignore it. I am not your enemy. I am simply a member expressing his frustration with yet another MS Product.;)

Calm down, I meant no offense. I just get tired of snide remarks about Microsoft products being inherently inferior, as if other vendors don't have issues.

I totally agree with you that the experience with SB and SP4 has been (so far) sub-par. My speculation (and hope) is that it's not actually a problem with the hardware, but is rather driver and OS issues that can will be resolved soon. It certainly seems like the biggest issue was caused by the decision to pursue the "always on" power management strategy that Skylake made possible. That was clearly not ready for prime time. But there also seem to be issues with the dual-GPU drivers, flakey firmware updates, and some undetermined issue causing the cameras not to initialize consistently.

JaeMelo

I just get tired of snide remarks about Microsoft products being inherently inferior, as if other vendors don't have issues.
Well its good we see eye to eye now. However regarding the quote above, there is nothing you can really do bout cheeky remarks. I know some statements can put a loyalist on edge really quick but what can you do?! Unfortunately for myself I happen to get the short end of the stick one to many times with Microsoft merchandise. For you it may very well be the opposite hence your optimistic stand for Microsoft.

For myself, when the Xbox 360 was released I ended up getting one back home in Bermuda which was 2fold the cost of one in the US. Fast forward a year and some change and I had gone through 3 of them, all which died from the RROD thing. Tried a PS3 and it lasted 4 years in Bermuda's rediculous temperatures and humidity before the GPU's paste dried up. Fast forward to me coming to America for college and at the XboxOne launch myself and 2 other buddies camped outside BestBuy on Day 1. To make a long story short 2/3 of us had optical drive reading problems. My buddy had his replaced after waiting weeks for refurbs to become avaliable. His replacement console is fine up until this day as far as I know; however for myself, becuase of my expierence with the 360 I called it quits right there. I had it with Microsoft's hardware at that time, so you can see why I said "I wasn't surprised" about the surface book having problems.

However on the flip side despite the laptop's flaws I still like it alot. I am not exaclty keen on giving up the SB at all to be frank. Instead I am looking forward to the future update/s to address the bugs. Once they are creased out I'll be a happy camper again. :p

motocoder

For myself, when the Xbox 360 was released I ended up getting one back home in Bermuda which was 2fold the cost of one in the US. Fast forward a year and some change and I had gone through 3 of them, all which died from the RROD thing. Tried a PS3 and it lasted 4 years in Bermuda's rediculous temperatures and humidity before the GPU's paste dried up. Fast forward to me coming to America for college and at the XboxOne launch myself and 2 other buddies camped outside BestBuy on Day 1. To make a long story short 2/3 of us had optical drive reading problems. My buddy had his replaced after waiting weeks for refurbs to become avaliable. His replacement console is fine up until this day as far as I know; however for myself, becuase of my expierence with the 360 I called it quits right there. I had it with Microsoft's hardware at that time, so you can see why I said "I wasn't surprised" about the surface book having problems.

I had RROD problems with two of my Xbox 360s as well. However, Microsoft repaired both of them, at their expense, even though one of them was well out of warranty. On the other hand, the blue-ray drive on my PS3, which was working fine, suddenly stopped working immediately after a firmware update. I looked into it, and found out that many other people with first-generation PS3s also experienced a BR drive failure after this same firmware update. Sony wouldn't repair or replace it, so I was stuck with an expensive paperweight. Last Sony product I ever bought.

So yeah, we can all come up with negative experiences. If a company has a pattern of releasing flawed hardware, I would just avoid being an early adopter. If a company screws the customer over post-sale, then I won't buy their products anymore. That's why Microsoft and Apple I still do business with, but Sony and Samsung are on my "never again" list.