What's new

Bluetooth connection issues

Kris

I have tried looking up the issue but can't seem to find a fix. My bluetooth headset keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I love my new SP3 but I am on the verge of returning it. I have already gone into the device manager and told it not to disconnect to save power. If I go into the setting it always says my pen is disconnected but it still works even brings up one not, it does show my head set as connect. It also looks like it is always searching for bluetooth devices but maybe that's just when I go into that setting.

Absolutely love this device but I can not have it disconnecting the bluetooth and blare out what ever I am watching or listening, nothing inappropriate but its while others are watching something else on TV or late night when I'm in bed and the wife is sleeping.
Also a thank you I have learned a lot about the SP3 from this forum and was one of the final deciding factors to buy one...

malberttoo

Hi Kris, welcome to the forum!

I'm sure some other folks will come along shortly and give you their thoughts or help you troubleshoot, but I have not had good luck with the Bluetooth on my SP3 either. Like you, my pen always shows disconnected, when it absolutely does work fine.

I have a Logitech 800 headset with both Bluetooth and a wireless receiver. I never got the headset to pair successfully with my SP3, even though it works without issue on my Win7 machines. So I just use the headset in wireless mode, with the little receiver plugged into the USB port.

I love my SP3 and am not giving it up. I haven't had to use any other Bluetooth devices with it yet, but I'm sure that day is coming.

cbrooker

I have the same problem with my Bluetooth headphones. It's incredibly annoying.

If sound is playing they stay connected. Once the sounds stops (ie watching YouTube and video ends.) they disconnect. If I start playing sound again it comes out of the speakers. I have to force the headphone to reconnect then I'm good again until the sound stops.

This happens Plugged into AC and on battery. I've never had WiFi off and can't think of a scenario other than on a plane where I would.

bluegrass

I have successfully used a Bose Bluetooth speaker but I sometimes have to fight a little to get it going. Same with mice and keyboards. They do work but it takes some extra effort sometimes to get them paired and working.

As to your problem, if it is pretty solid, I would suggest taking the headset with you to the store you purchased your Surface from and test it with some store models and see if you have the same experience. After reading some of the other replies it sounds like Bluetooth headsets are problematic to get to work with the Surface.

After reading this thread, I decided to go with a Bluetooth headset, I would take my Surface to a store that had the headset and test it out before I purchased it.

Geneo

There is a difference between BT devices. I tried 3 other BT mice before I found (a 4th) one that stays connected and reconnects without a problem after the computer wakes up. In other words, the problem may be your headset and not the sp3. I've had 2 different BT headsets and none of them worked right with 3 different computers.
Just my experience.

Bandito

Just an FYI regarding the pen. The Bluetooth on the pen is normally off, so it shows as disconnected on the SP3. When you click on the button, it powers up the pen's Bluetooth, connects to the SP3, triggers OneNote, and then turns back off again. This means that it isn't using any battery power when not necessary. This is completely normal behavior for the SP3 and its pen.

As far as Bluetooth connections go, I have only used a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition and a Jawbone mini Jambox with my SP3 so far, but have had no issues whatsoever. I haven't, however, used the Jambox for more than just a few minutes at a time, so far. If I get a chance, I'll run it for longer and try some YouTube videos to see how it behaves and report back.

OP
K

Kris

Thank you all for the quick responses.
It will suck big time if it is the headsets, I have 3 Plantronics Voyager Legend headsets that I use through out the day. I updated the firmware to all of them last night and still having the connection issues. I will keep on looking to try and find a fix, currently don't have the funds to buy a new headset, or 3, just for my SP3.

bluegrass

There is a difference between BT devices. I tried 3 other BT mice before I found (a 4th) one that stays connected and reconnects without a problem after the computer wakes up. In other words, the problem may be your headset and not the sp3. I've had 2 different BT headsets and none of them worked right with 3 different computers.
Just my experience.

You know this makes me think that it could really be a big selling point for peripheral makers to test their devices reliability with SP computers, specifically SP3 since it's the latest. If they function really reliably, they could advertise that they are SP3 compatible. I think it would be very useful for those of us looking to purchase various peripherals to see them state that they are SP3 compatible. It would be a Win-Win for both sellers and buyers.

OP
K

Kris

Reset my SP3 to original settings today and the bluetooth worked without a flaw the entire day.... Then it downloaded 42 updates and I am back to it disconnecting and reconnecting every 30 seconds. This may end up becoming a deal breaker for me. I really do love this product but it has too many bugs, most that I can live with but not one that effects bluetooth. I have 3 headsets because I am constantly listening to music or watching some form of video and if this device is unable to stay connected through out the day then it is worthless to me. I may try resetting it again and just turning off updates but that will cause all kinds of other issues so I am told...

ctitanic

Capture.JPG