What's new

Bluetooth keyboard

r0b123

Anyone have a BT keyboard that's backlit they recommend? As a side note, it will be used both with the Surface 3 and my MBP. So far I've seen the Logitech line has either the K810 (Window k/b) and K811 (Mac k/b) and reading various reviews on Amazon mention both support Win8.1 and Mac OSX. I can go either way but leaning towards the K810 as I need it for my main Surface system for work.

Recently there's a new BT keyboard, the K480 which have keys that show both Apple and Windows! The only downside is no backlit keys which I do need and use for the home office.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=B00MUTWLW4

I'm curious if anyone has used any of these and what their thoughts are, especially if they use it for both Win8.1 and Mac. :)

Cheers!

lonaysta

FYI, many users of Logitech K810 report connectivity issue with the current firmware version of Surface Pro 3's Bluetooth adapter.

riggi

I use the K810.
Typing on it is good. I like it a lot better than the type cover. Back lighting is good. Battery life is good, plus it charges via USB and you can use it while it's charging if you really need to.
It is quite flat compared to some other keyboards, but it's ok for me.

I had to uninstall the Logitech setpoint software as it kept causing both the k810 and my Razor Orochi most to disconnect. The downside of that is that I cannot toggle the fn keys to be fn instead of the media controls that I hardly ever use. Kind of annoying, but I'm getting used to it. I used to have the fn keys locked on my SP 1 type cover, but have unlocked them on the SP3,just so it's consistent with the K810.

Even without the setpoint software installed, passing caps lock causes the keyboard to disconnect and then reconnect. Annoying, but am getting used to avoiding the caps lock key.

Even with the annoyances, I use it may of the time as typing is more pleasurable than the type cover, and I like being able to push the SP3 further back on my desk and move the keyboard around if I need to read some papers or a book and still see the screen and use the keyboard on the side.

I also use it with an Asus vivotab note 8 and have no problems with it on that (caps lock works fine)

OP
r0b123

r0b123

Thanks Riggi. I ordered the K810 and looking forward to trying it out with my Surface, Mac and Android. Will have to see how it plays with Windows 10 TP.

On your Asus, did you install the software and is it working well?

GTiceman

Thank you Riggi for that writeup as I was considering the K810 and the slim touch mouse that also allows switching for use with both my work laptop and my SP3. I kept going back and forth on whether I should buy a type cover.

riggi

On your Asus, did you install the software and is it working well?

I did have it installed on the Asus, but I've uninstalled it now. I had the Asus and K810 before the SP3. From memory, it was working ok, but once I couldn't use the fn keys for the SP3, I figured I'd uninstall it on the Asus so the fn keys work the same way on all devices.