What's new

Bluetooth Mouse

Dan Forker

Anyone using a bluetooth mouse with the sp3? I really don't want to go without a mouse and often need to usb port for thumb drive. What I see at Amazon and Tiger Direct it appears that there are a lot of complaints about the bluetooth mouses dropping their connection to the computer. So what brand seems to work best?

Dan Forker

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the Wedge Surface Edition without issue.... Bluetooth 4.0 Enabled Hardware seem to have less conflict then older Bluetooth Devices.

Geneo

All I can do is relate my experience. Like you, I "needed" a Bluetooth mouse also.

The first I got a MS script mouse. I didn't hardly lost it's connection at all, but the touch strip to scroll up and down drove me nuts. It's very touchy and over/under scrolling was a problem.

Next I got a Dell BT mouse, with a scroll wheel. Much better, but half the time it's not connected when my sp3 wakes up (it never dropped connection while I was working). I could either go into Control Panel and start/stop BT or just restart to get it reconnect. Either way sucked.

I finally went back to my Logitech usb-doggled mouse, which always works just fine.

So which one to get? IF you get a BT mouse, I'd say get a (real) MS one, but with a scroll wheel. But don't be surprised if it's not perfect.

Bandito

I, too, am using a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition. I really like the mouse and haven't had any connection issues with it, but have had ongoing issues with the touchstrip used for scrolling. I find that it works quite well, but it will randomly conk out and quit scrolling on me. A simple reboot of the mouse (yeah, I know. Now you even have to reboot your mice to make things work!) by flattening it out to turn it off and then curving it again to turn it back on always restores the functionality.

From what I've read on the Internet, this is a fairly common problem with this mouse. If cdf3, above, hasn't experienced this with his/her mouse, perhaps I'll see if MS will replace mine and I'll try another one, as I've now experienced this problem on both my SP2 and SP3, which does kind of point to the mouse having an intermittent hardware issue.

When looking for a Bluetooth mouse, it always amazes me how few options that there are available. Most every notebook built in the last several years has Bluetooth built in, so I would think the market for Bluetooth mice would be considerable, but apparently it is not. My experience with Bluetooth is that it is much more reliable for mice and keyboards than those that use the proprietary USB wireless adapters.

Finally, I also use an Apple Magic Mouse with my regular work laptop and have never experienced a problem with it. Maybe it's time to get one more for the SP3.

cdf3

I, too, am using a Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition. I really like the mouse and haven't had any connection issues with it, but have had ongoing issues with the touchstrip used for scrolling. I find that it works quite well, but it will randomly conk out and quit scrolling on me. A simple reboot of the mouse (yeah, I know. Now you even have to reboot your mice to make things work!) by flattening it out to turn it off and then curving it again to turn it back on always restores the functionality.
From what I've read on the Internet, this is a fairly common problem with this mouse. If cdf3, above, hasn't experienced this with his/her mouse, perhaps I'll see if MS will replace mine and I'll try another one, as I've now experienced this problem on both my SP2 and SP3, which does kind of point to the mouse having an intermittent hardware issue.
I’ve been using mine for nearly 6 months without any issues. (5 months on SP2, 1 month on SP3)
If others have had issues with theirs, then I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

wvevie

I'm using the MS Wedge Mouse but it gets frustrating. I used it originally with my SP1 and had connection problems but after a couple of months it was perfect. I'm using it now with my SP3 and the same connection problems are back. I'm hoping it will eventually sort out. I love the size and feel of the MS Wedge Mouse. Hate to give it up but it does freeze on me at times.

kundas1

I'm also using the Surface Arc touch mouse and it works flawless... BUT using it to game is not good, it doesn't register small movements and its really annoying.

Bandito

cdf3,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on that, I'll pursue a replacement mouse and see what happens.

Odyssey

cdf3,

Thanks for the feedback. Based on that, I'll pursue a replacement mouse and see what happens.

I've had the Arc Mouse Surface Edition since October 2013 and the scrolling function of the touch strip won't work from time to time. Usually it'll come back after a minute or two so it hasn't bothered me too much thankfully.

What DOES bother me about it is that the left and right click buttons feel cheap when you press them down. The just don't feel as comfortable to press compared to my old USB Logitech mouse. I don't know how else to describe it lol.