What's new

Bluetooth Question

VickiFL

I have at least three Bluetooth devices running at one time, sometimes four. Keyboard, mouse, pen, and sometimes a speaker.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Netgear CGD24G. According to the router page:

Acquire Downstream Channel 585000000 Hz Locked
That is the only indication I could see........
OK, you're using a Cable Modem that also acts as a wireless access point, it quite old and only supports 802.11G which is 2.4GHz, I think it may be time for a router upgrade....

r0b123

Nice GPS module @sharpcolorado !

I have 3 devices connected via BT and no problems on Win10...
- Logitech K810
- Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse
- JLabs Crasher speaker

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

I am considering replacing the Netgear CGD24G (provided by TWC) with the ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Perhaps soon, perhaps later.

Just curious: What would/does the parameters of my router have to do with the number of BT connections my SP3 can have at the same time?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am considering replacing the Netgear CGD24G (provided by TWC) with the ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Perhaps soon, perhaps later.

Just curious: What would/does the parameters of my router have to do with the number of BT connections my SP3 can have at the same time?
The Surface Line of Tablets use the Marvell Wireless SoC which includes dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) 802.11N or AC (depending on Generation), Bluetooth 4.0 LE, NFC (not enabled) and FM Radio (not enabled) all on a single chip with an Antenna Array (On the SP3 the Antennas are located under the plastic cap at the top of device).

Bluetooth uses 2.4GHz to communicate with its peripherals and using 802.11AC on 2.4 GHz causes contention (two protocols vying for the same Wireless Spectrum at the same time), this can cause poor performance as the two negotiate how to coexist together.

ScottyS

Nothing per se, but BT uses 2.4GHz so WiFi using that frequency can cause interference.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adding to what @jnjroach said a router with 5ghz band will allow you to configure the SP3 to use the 5ghz band on wireless and avoid the 2.4ghz band which is also used by lots of other devices such as wireless phones etc. not just Bluetooth. The end result being potentially better Bluetooth operation and potentially better wireless operation. YMMV.