What's new

Solved Bluetooth tethering to an iPhone 5

Agave Azul

I just gave this a try on my SP2.

Followed submissions above, was able to sync Bluetooth from my i5 to SP2.

I was unable to establish an internet connection on my tablet while in Bluetooth.

I turned off WiFi on both devices but no internet connection.

Thoughts...

beman39

I don't get why people are trying to tether via Bluetooth, just enable your "hotspot" on your i5 and connect to it, simple

demandarin

I don't get why people are trying to tether via Bluetooth, just enable your "hotspot" on your i5 and connect to it, simple

I think because enabling a hotspot feature built in means you have to pay for it. I know that's how it is with at&t. that's why a lot find work arounds like Bluetooth or wifi tethering apps n such so they can use existing data plans and not have to pay extra for tethering. that is until the company finally realizes youre tethering and will send a text to you telling you to stop or they'll automatically sign you up for a tethering plan...haha

I couldn't get my Lg Optimus G Pro to tether by wifi(at&t block) or Bluetooth. I usually could always get BT working but not with my pro for some reason. even with PDA net installed on desktop on Pro. But usb tethering works just fine. it sees it as a broadband connection. Any connection or form of tethering is better than none. same thing with BT over wifi. if you can get BT working but not Wifi, take it. better than no way at all to connect.

beman39

so if your paying for a data plan and want to use the phone as a hotspot, At&T wants you to pay ADDITIONAL data plan to use on your Surface? that's BS! I always thought the states had better plans and were more lax on how you use your data... greedy bastards! I'm with Videotron here in Canada and they never bother me for stuff like that!

demandarin

so if your paying for a data plan and want to use the phone as a hotspot, At&T wants you to pay ADDITIONAL data plan to use on your Surface? that's BS! I always thought the states had better plans and were more lax on how you use your data... greedy bastards! I'm with Videotron here in Canada and they never bother me for stuff like that!

Yup... these phone carriers here want you to pay extra money to tether or have a hotspot. Which is why alot of people with android or ios hack/mod their phone to get around that. Although if you tethering too much data, they will find out as they will see a spike in use.

like even with my plan. im with att. im still grandfathered under the old unlimited data plan. they always try to get or trick you to switch. so their answer to those of us still with unlimited data plans is to severely throttle our data speeds when we use over 2gb of data. which is stupid. I have 4g LTE..Speeds are really fast normally. ranging in the teens to around 25megabits per second. when they throttle you, your top speed is less than 1mbps download...smh until it resets the following month after bill date. its so easy to burn through gigbites of data these days. all you have to do is watch a couple or few 1080p HD youtube streams and bam, your over the limit and you get throttled. Browsing is still fine throttled but streaming sucks on it.

CrippsCorner

Yup that's how it used to be in the UK too, until about a year ago when they made it free... on EE at least. In the past it was in fact the only reason I jailbroke my iPhone.

Do you have any unsupported characters in your SSID? I know some people had problems with this... for instance my default was Olly's iPhone but changing this to just iPhone helped.
I have been searching for a solution to this for nearly 2 years, and was told an iphone6 and surface pro were not compatible, called my device an 'iphone' click done, great thankyou

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The apostrophe and the space are sometimes not properly recognized (parsed) by the connecting drivers.

I've noticed that in airports and crowded places, many of the phones are labeled merely "iPhone" or something like "JohnsiPhone" or "JohnD" or the like.