What's new

Blurry Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

mimarsinan

OK, let's try a different approach...

Is there a way to "fake" a second monitor attached to my Surface?

That way I could enter Duplicate mode and work around the issue.

Does anyone know if you can use the Surface VGA converter without a monitor for this?

It seems that you could add a fake second monitor in earlier Windows releases, but not 10.

Come on, Microsoft...

...you keep breaking things *and* removing features - when are you going to fix them?

This technical debt is sure to catch up with you sooner than later.

convergent

Not seen anything like this, so may be something about your configuration. You mentioned running VMWare, and that could be causing the problem.

OP
M

mimarsinan

Let's play nice and not accuse third party products of things they could not have any control over...

While stretching my imagination I *might* see how VMware might actually be doing something to CPU power states:

Third New Problem: Aggressive CPU Slowdown

There's no way a user mode application could warp pixels on a screen.

Nowithstanding my previous report that this issue does *not* happen on a Surface Pro 3 (or earlier), you can try setting 1152x768 resolution and reproduce the issue on your own Surface.

OP
M

mimarsinan

Well I have a fresh discovery to report!

When the display is turning from landscape to portrait, as soon as the "rotation effect" begins, (i.e. the landscape zooms out) the blurry goes away - and lo and behold, the blurry does *not* remain in portrait mode.

In fact, even in reverse landscape mode, the blurry does *not* show. The only time the blurry shows is when you are in notebook landscape mode.

Does anyone know of a way to fool whatever Windows bug is causing the blurry into thinking that it should be rendering in non-default-notebook-landscape mode? I can imagine flipping the device, but kind of hard to keep typing that way with a disconnected keyboard and all :)

Note: This was tested on a Pro 2017, I haven't had a chance to check the Pro 4 yet.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just checked on the Pro 4 - same behavior; on all displays except laptop landscape, crystal clear display.

Mine works perfectly in every scenario :) As does the sp3. As does the s3. Every orientation and external monitor configuration.

OP
M

mimarsinan

LCD Panels are designed to work at their native resolution - lower resolutions will result in suboptimal results...

Thanks for stating the obvious, I wish I could say it helped, but it really doesn't.

Did you look at my high-res camera captures? They illustrate the problem beautifully.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for stating the obvious, I wish I could say it helped, but it really doesn't.

Did you look at my high-res camera captures? They illustrate the problem beautifully.
Yet you expect to different result running at a lower resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.