What's new

blurry youtube

busanga

Youtube is blurry on my surface pro2, keeps flickering to clear then goes back to blurry. It is mainly blurry. Why is this ?? Is unwatchable

Philtastic

That's probably a problem with Youtube or your internet provider. Youtube tends to be pretty bad these days on switching to higher res video once the video has started playing at low res. If your internet sucks, it could also be that Youtube is detecting your connection and automatically downgrading the video to match your ability to stream (I have explicitly set my Youtube to go to HD automatically when full screened so I'm not sure what the behaviour is like by default).

What you can try doing is stopping the video, manually setting it to 1080p, wait about half a minute for the video to preload (or set the video back to the start which will force it to load in whatever resolution you have selected), and see if that helps you maintain the higher resolution video.

OP
B

busanga

Thanks for reply. How do you set YouTube to go to high res automatically. I will also test on a faster connection, though I have not had this problem before on my other laptops or iPad on same internet connection.

Philtastic

Log in to Youtube and click your profile button in the top right, go to settings. On the left, you will see a playback option. Go there and select the "Always choose the best quality..." and check off the "Always play HD on fullscreen (when available)".

Now, mind you, Youtube will almost always select 360p when you first load a video which really sucks. Even when you fullscreen it, it will often take up to a minute for it to automatically switch to the higher resolution. For Youtube viewing, I like to use an app called "MegaTube" where you can set it to always just load the HD video right from the get go. You can then also save any video you watch for future watching, such as for on the subway or bus where you don't have internet. It's pretty awesome.