What's new

Solved Book shuts down

Loz1959

I have just purchased a surface book. I have installed my virus software etc. and let it do it's stuff installing updates. I then set about installing my software/apps. At some point during this two issues have arisen which may be related. 1) When I remove the power lead the PC shuts down. 2) When I press the key or icon to undock the screen the PC shuts down. I can no longer undock the screen.

Anyone got any ideas as to where the problem may lie?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Let's get you back up, @Loz1959

First, try to do a Hard Rest:

COLD REBOOT, HARD RESET - SURFACE BOOK or SURFACE PRO 4
1) Hold power button for 25 seconds. Don't release early, even if you see the screen go black or the keyboard dim. Machine will completely shut down. Release.
2) Press and hold power and VolumeUp buttons simultaneously until you see the "Surface" logo on the screen. Release both buttons. Machine will start into the UEFI menu.
3) Exit the UEFI menu either by touch or by touchpad. Machine will restart.

Let us know how that goes. Then we will probably start looking into some firmware issue having to do with battery recharge.

OP
L

Loz1959

Thanks,

I tried the hard reset -it didn't work.

I decided that the book was under warranty and went back to the dealer. The dealer replaced it. I have now installed all the updates and most of my software. Everything works fine.

Thanks for your help.