What's new

Booting from USB DVD rescue disk.

Dave70

How do I boot from a USB DVD rescue disk when there is no problem with the SP3? I just want to make sure the disk was created properly, and that it actually works.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Your post is a little confusing as it was posted in the SP3 forum and you state that it works on the SP3?

OP
D

Dave70

Welcome to the forum

Your post is a little confusing as it was posted in the SP3 forum and you state that it works on the SP3?

Thanks. I'm saying I used Acronis ATI 2016 Backup program to burn a rescue disk for a Surface Pro 3 computer. I used a DVD-R in a USB Asus 8X External Slim DVD+/-RW Drive SDRW-08D2S-U. My question is: How can I boot from the bootable DVD rescue disk I made using the Acronis program burned onto a DVD disk on this external DVD burner?

There is nothing wrong with the Surface Pro 3. It is just fine. I want to test the rescue disk to see if it works. So how can I boot from the USB optical disk I created?

leeshor

I don't remember anyone asking abut that before. People who have wanted to create rescue media have been doing it using a bootable flash/thumb drive. Maybe some has an answer.

I assume you went into the BIOS and told it to boot to USB?

OP
D

Dave70

I don't remember anyone asking abut that before. People who have wanted to create rescue media have been doing it using a bootable flash/thumb drive. Maybe some has an answer.

I assume you went into the BIOS and told it to boot to USB?

I have no idea how to go into the BIOS on this machine. There is no literature which came with this computer which says how to operate it. I just had the USB drive connected, and on, with the rescue disk in it.

Metalman

I have no idea how to go into the BIOS on this machine. There is no literature which came with this computer which says how to operate it. I just had the USB drive connected, and on, with the rescue disk in it.

I do this all the time with Acronis.
Just hold the volume in the down position, and then press and release the power button.
When you seen the Surface logo on the screen let go of the volume button.
It will now boot to the DVD drive and let you test, backup or restore your Surface.

OP
D

Dave70

I do this all the time with Acronis.
Just hold the volume in the down position, and then press and release the power button.
When you seen the Surface logo on the screen let go of the volume button.
It will now boot to the DVD drive and let you test, backup or restore your Surface.

That is great! I will do this first thing tomorrow. TYVM

OP
D

Dave70

let us know how it goes.

It worked perfectly. I got to boot from the rescue disk. But I also found out something else I need. Since the SP3 has only one USB port, I need a USB splitter of some kind so I can connect the USB HDD I used as the backup destination at the same time. If I can find such a device, and the Surface recognizes it, I'm in business. Maybe someone has a suggestion about this?

Thanks,

Dave

OP
D

Dave70

You will need a powered USB Hub. The Surface USB port is not likely to provide enough power for two devices.
Something like:
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter: Computers & Accessories

Come to think of it, my external HDD is in a USB enclosure and has it's own power cord with customary brick. The DVD drive has a double USB cord. One for data, and one for power. I power this device from another computer while the data connector is in the SP3. So maybe a more portable USB hub would do as well?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A powered USB hub has it's own power brick.
I haven't heard of any that use a USB Y cable but I never looked for one either.