What's new

Both batteries in use?

BadPenguin

Hello,

I have a Surface Book with Performance Base (512GB) and I wanted to ask, if it is normal, that both batteries are in use when I use it in "notebook mode". This seems a little bit silly to me, because if I'm using the Surface Book in "notebook mode" and both batteries are in use, the energy of the battery in the clipboard is wasted when I want to use it in clipboard mode. I hope you know what I'm trying to say. :D

Thank you all in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I have a Surface Book with Performance Base (512GB) and I wanted to ask, if it is normal, that both batteries are in use when I use it in "notebook mode". This seems a little bit silly to me, because if I'm using the Surface Book in "notebook mode" and both batteries are in use, the energy of the battery in the clipboard is wasted when I want to use it in clipboard mode. I hope you know what I'm trying to say. :D

Thank you all in advance!
That is how it is designed to function...

OP
B

BadPenguin

Which way do you mean? That both batteries are discharging at the same time or that the base battery is used first?

Because I read on reddit, that the base battery should be used first until it reaches ~40% and only then the battery in the clipboard is touched.

MickeyLittle

I like the method of the old Asus Transformers in that when you took the tablet off the keyboard it was at 100% if possible and that when you put the tablet back on the keyboard the keyboard charged/transferred it's charge to the tablet. Could Microsoft do that for us in a software update at some point?