What's new

Brand new Surface 3 lte unlocked...want to downgrade

redbrick

Has anyone here tried to downgrade their surface 3 to run windows 8.1 pro? I absolutely hate windows 10 home...I find the restrictions annoying enough that I am about to return this thing to Microsoft than spend another $100 on an upgrade. How does windows 8.1 pro run on the surface 3?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A downgrade from Windows 10 Home would be to 8.1 Home.
I upgraded my S3 to 8.1 Pro and aside from the extra features it runs exactly the same.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One point of caution - if you bought a Windows 10 device, you do not have a Windows 8.1 license unless you have an Enterprise Agreement with downgrade rights....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Generally OEM installed Windows 7/8/8.1/10 Pro editions can be downgraded to a prior Pro edition.
The language implies it might be optional and to review the included eula.

Home editions generally do not have downgrade rights.

Also AFAIK Retail Packages aka FPP do not have downgrade rights.

Microsoft, OEMs Put Downgrade Restrictions On Windows 10

Understanding downgrade rights
The key is Pro (OEM) - upgraded Home to Pro is not the same, hence my EA with downgrade rights

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The key is Pro (OEM) - upgraded Home to Pro is not the same, hence my EA with downgrade rights
Yeah the upgrade is a different scenario as that was a paid Pro Pack. I think it cost me $25 on discount. :)

With Window 10 Home installed on the Surface 3 there would be no downgrade rights for a consumer.

If you purchased a business model Surface 3 which comes with Pro installed from CDW you'd likely have a downgrade right but check the fine print to be sure.

Your point is taken, if you're a business with an EA you have options consumers don't.

OP
R

redbrick

Rights, licenses... while I really appreciate all your inputs, Microsoft's user license/ rights fail to address my need. So I'll openly admit that to keep this device I'm gonna have to cowboy this one and install what I don't have rights to... I happen to have a spare windows 8.1 pro license found cheap....

OP
R

redbrick

....so much better. Downgraded my tablet to 8.1 pro, and what a difference. The connection stays! With windows 10, it kept dropping... not sure why. I did call Microsoft and essentially they don't really seem to care what I put in this tablet...as long as the customer is happy. In fact they were very helpful by suggesting ways to get the 8.1 on the tablet with the drivers, etc... Seems you have to just ask the right question. I really like this device. I got the UAG for this. I really like the case.

Ok are you saying that your downgrade to windows 8 makes the mobile lte connection more stable?

Personally I just switch carriers because I was dropping connections between cell towers on Telus in Canada
Currently testing out Rogers to see it is better.
The problem is that I am rebooting to get my cell connection back again.

Now I have an iPad at the same time and it does NOT Lose connection so .. will now test the new carrier on windows 10 this next week but I suspect the same issues.
So the fact that none of my iPads have had EASY re-connection between cell towers for over 5 years tells me this is most likely a Microsoft issue?