Brand new surface pro with blacklight bleeding

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by dream3, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dream3

dream3 New Member

Hello.

It kills me to admit that my brand new $ 1200 surface pro has some light bleeding around the botton right and right areas of the screen.

Ive looked it up a but and it seems that this was an earlier issue so I actually didnt think there would be a chance I would end up facing this problem. I havent seen any complaints throughout may-june.

Here are 2 pics:

First one is with the place lit at the boot screen.

[​IMG]

Second one is with lights out, black image on full screen.

[​IMG]

They are both with brightness at 100%, but it really doesnt make that much differene if it's set to 50%.

What do you guys think? I shouldnt be expecting those right? I know that people had much worse bleeds once, but that was before.

I also dont want to keep exchanging till I get a good one, that's too much of a hassle. So if you tell me that all of them are probably be the same I wont exchange.

It bugs me that such an expensive device would present this kind of irritating and ugly problem after 6 months in production.

2. Igor

Igor New Member

I've had 2 different SPs, both had some level of backlight bleed. In the same area as yours but I can't tell if it's better or worse than yours because I never run my SP at 100% brightness, and photos have a way of exaggerating backlight bleed.

In any case, I'm not sure you'll find one with no bleed at all.

3. Krooked

Krooked Member

My first SP had very little bleed, but it had a dead pixel. The replacement (brand new) SP has similar bleed to yours. This is entirely normal with these types of screens, even my iPad 3 and all of my system monitors have some amount of backlight bleed . However, it shouldn't be noticeable during normal operation. Most people do not usually watch pitch black or extremely dark screens for long periods.

4. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Mine has no bleed at all gladly.

5. tonyz3

tonyz3 New Member

My SP and my wifes RT both have similar and does not bother me. A dead pixel i would return for but the minor light bleed is not worth the trouble.

6. hogwldfltr

hogwldfltr Member

Brand new surface pro with blacklight bleeding...

Going to go get some dayglo posters for mine.

7. Striknine

Striknine Member

Mine bleeds a little as well while booting. It doesn't bother me at all though. When the screen is on I cant tell so no problem here.
    Does everything else work correctly? If so just enjoy using it and don't let the little things that are common worry you.

8. MaxSurface

MaxSurface New Member

Without looking up the specs and just by looking at your pic, it looks like a typical edge lit led panel. Bleeding around the edges is common with them and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

9. will25u

will25u New Member

I've returned 2 surface pro 128 not because of the backlight bleeding but for something else and both of them had a little bit of bleed. I think it's normal and if you do return it you will most likely get another one with the same issue so I say keep it unless it's really bothers you.

10. Krooked

Krooked Member

I actually just noticed mine only has bleed on boot (it looks like the OPs). No wonder it doesn't bother me during normal operation.

11. hogwldfltr

hogwldfltr Member

Interesting, in truth, I thought the bleed in the start-up screen was intentional. I have it but notice it at no other time. Seems like an effect to me.

12. dream3

dream3 New Member

You guys are almost convincing me but how about watching youtube videos with dark backgrounds? In that case with that surface, I could see the bleeding and it was in fact drawing my attention.

It does seem to be common but damn, I hope I get one with very little then...