What's new

Brand new Surface RT not working

Stoutykid

My husband received a gift of a 64GB surface RT.I have just taken it out of the box and turned it on and instead of being prompted to start software setup I am faced with a blue trouble shooting page. When I have made sections such as return to windows or fix computer it comes up blank. I have followed microsoft trouble shooting but it hasn't helped. Unfortunately their help desk is closed so I just wondered if anyone here could shed some light. I am stuck on the blue page loop and keep being told it couldn't fix my PC. Doesn't bode well if I can't even turn it on......!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, the Surface RT was made in 2012. They didn't sell well and ever since salvage dealers and others have been selling the liquidated assets from Microsoft's write off. If it's been sitting in a box that long (3+ years) Id charge the battery for 24 hours first to see if that helps.

Just to double check the RT was a dark color while the newer Surface 2 has a Silver back and sides.

OP
S

Stoutykid

Thanks so much for the reply...I had gathered it wasn't top of the range and was a few yrs old as he was given it through his company. I did however think we would be able to switch it on. I will give your a advice a try fingers crossed that will work. And yes sorry it's definitely the RT as its all black

kundas1

oooph! the black version are the first gen RT devices... 2nd gens are silver... I would bet the battery is not very good anymore...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully it will be revived. How do you tell someone their gift isn't what they thought it was ... *awkward* :confused:
I probably would never mention it.

leeshor

Hopefully it will be revived. How do you tell someone their gift isn't what they thought it was ... *awkward* :confused:
I probably would never mention it.
Like the birthday card my sister sent me that had me 15 years older than I am. Mum's the word.

jrioux

oooph! the black version are the first gen RT devices... 2nd gens are silver... I would bet the battery is not very good anymore...
My RT's battery is still fine and I assume that the battery still works because the screen comes on.

I recall that when my RT was frozen the MS tech had me hold the power button and volume control for something like 30 seconds to restart it. This isn't on MS's support pages and it say not to use the two buttons to shutdown the RT. Does anyone else recall doing this?