What's new

Solved Broke charging port. Will no longer charge.

baydude

My SB slipped off the table with the charging cable attached hitting the hardwood floor. I can see the metal contact dented inside the charging port and I think it broke. Now charger won't light up or charge when plugged in.

I tried plugging it in my dock charger and the screen just turns black.

Bought my device brand new from eBay during March of this year. What should I do?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@baydude,

Visit a computer repair shop, but be prepared to take risks. The repair shop should have very small tools in order to look inside the port and perhaps bend connectors into shape. This is indeed a serious problem.

Or, you can go into a Microsoft store and get a quote for repair.

ncameron

Just to check that it's not the charger cable that has failed and not the port itself; you might want to try plugging the charger into the Clipboard charging port at the bottom when detached...

OP
B

baydude

Just to check that it's not the charger cable that has failed and not the port itself; you might want to try plugging the charger into the Clipboard charging port at the bottom when detached...

Looks like my charger is also broke because it won't charge on the bottom port but my dock charger works on it. Gonna take it to the MS store today to get a quote.

OP
B

baydude

Nevermind, realized I purchased complete warranty plan and they're giving me a brand new one because they don't have any replacements.