What's new

Browser Advice

nmscott

Hey everyone!

I could really use some advice as I am at the end of my rope here. My wonderful parents bought me a surface pro 2 running windows 8.1 for Christmas after I mentioned how annoying it is drag my laptop back and forth everyday. I was so excited until I actually needed certain websites to use for my work. I have never been a fan of IE, I use Firefox on my laptop but was doing okay with the browser for my basic needs during vacation. I am a graduate student that does DNA analysis and takes classes. I mention this because Eclass, the program used by my school to post all of my assignments is of course not compatible with IE, but surprise surprise is with Firefox and Chrome. Also I use a website called UNITE for all my DNA analysis and it also a horrible mess with IE. I tried to use some of the other browsers found in the windows store, but none of them would download my assignments! I just click on them and nothing happens. The UNITE database looked better in the other browsers but when I clicked run to actually get my results instead of opening up a new tab in that browser it opened up one in IE were is won't work! So basically does anyone have any browser recommendations from the windows store that will actually download things from websites and not link to open tabs in IE? Otherwise I will have to luge around my laptop again making this tablet completely pointless for me to own....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no reason you cannot run Download Firefox and use it as you would on any PC. The Store is optional with a Surface Pro.

As far as opening other tabs in IE you would need to change the default browser to whatever you want to use.

OP
N

nmscott

Firefox was the first thing I tried to download. It said that the app was not supported on this computer and then directed me to the windows store. I have seen other threads that said the surface pro 2 does not support Firefox or chrome so I was wondering if there were any recommendations for other browsers from the windows store that would actually let me download stuff or why they would not in the first place. I mean that's really strange right? A browser that doesn't let you download anything?

OP
N

nmscott

My processor is: NVIDIA(R) TEGRA(R) 4 Quad Core CPU 1.71 GHz and I have Windows Edition RT 8.1 which I think is why I can't use the other browsers. I just doubled checked on the Firefox website and it says my system does not meet the requirements.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My processor is: NVIDIA(R) TEGRA(R) 4 Quad Core CPU 1.71 GHz and I have Windows Edition RT 8.1 which I think is why I can't use the other browsers. I just doubled checked on the Firefox website and it says my system does not meet the requirements.
You have the Surface 2 not the Surface Pro 2 and you are limited to Internet Explorer. Windows RT is a locked down version of Windows 8.x.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right this is a Surface 2 not a Surface Pro 2.

So if one of those Store browsers works on your sites you need to set it as the Default Browser so when another tab is opened it uses that.

OP
N

nmscott

Ok thanks for the replies! Maybe if I set one of the store ones as my default browser it will let me download stuff as well, its worth a shot. Where do I got to set something as my default browser?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok thanks for the replies! Maybe if I set one of the store ones as my default browser it will let me download stuff as well, its worth a shot. Where do I got to set something as my default browser?
Swipe from right - Settings - Change PC Settings - Search and Apps - Defaults.

No changing the browser wont help with downloading apps... You're limited to Store Apps with the Surface2.
The Tegra 4 processor is an ARM based CPU and wont run x86 executable code. Sorry, that the way it is.

OP
N

nmscott

All I am trying to download or even just view is a Powerpoint presentation. Can I still not do that? I guess I will have to download it at school and just put it on a flashdrive...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All I am trying to download or even just view is a Powerpoint presentation. Can I still not do that? I guess I will have to download it at school and just put it on a flashdrive...
Trying using Compatibility Mode on IE or add the site to your trusted sites, or both....

Also most eCLASS implementations use Moodle and there is a Moodle App in the Store:

MoodleMobile – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

But this will only work if the implementation from your school supports it.