What's new

Solved BSOD is very much annoying me!

Domenico

Hi,
just want to stress that my Surface 3 Pro i7/8Gb RAM is a great machine but there is a "but" ..

All the times I connect an external monitor, that horrible BSOD comes!
I updated all drivers and bla bla bla... I tried even a different monitor but crashes happen very often, lets say after 1 hour and even less.

The matter is that when I get back to work with no external monitor, everything is solid as a rock and no crashes!
Furthermore, I cannot find any dump file generated by machine, so I cannot understand what is going on.

Thanks!:)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it would be very helpful to know more info, such as what type of monitor? How is it connected? And you say you've updated the drivers, which and what version?

The Bug-check should be in your %WinDir%\minidump folder.

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Hi,
I am trying a different cable as suggested by leeshor and so far so good.
Anyway here the info you asked me:

Updated Intel driver

upload_2015-4-14_15-34-28.png

... and this is my monitor :

upload_2015-4-14_15-35-4.png

thank you.
Keep you posted ! :)

OP
Domenico

Domenico

Also, it would be very helpful to know more info, such as what type of monitor? How is it connected? And you say you've updated the drivers, which and what version?

The Bug-check should be in your %WinDir%\minidump folder.

-- I cannot find any minidump folder.
Monitor is connected by MiniDisplay Adapter to VGA port.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
MiniDump should be located:

upload_2015-4-14_6-45-34.png

Are you using the Official Mini-DP to VGA or a third party adapter? Does your Monitor support DVI or HDMI?

OP
Domenico

Domenico

My monitor support DVI. It has one DVI and one VGA. No HDMI.
Right now is connected by a third part MiniDp to VGA. Not the official one.

New2ToMe

Let me go out on a limb here and generalize. Please place blame where blame it s due. It is NOT the SP2/3. That is only showing you what HAS happened, not what is causing it.

IF you are using a hub or any USB-based attachment for connecting to the outside monitor it will almost certainly be using DisplayLink drivers. So, updating the Intel drivers will achieve nothing.

Please note also that the Display Link drivers will use heaps of your internal SSD finite wear life. For external monitor use, ONLY the DVI and suitable adapter (if needed) is the ONLY option. Then you, like me will have ZERO problems with the external monitor and you can then lay the blame where it is due.

Use something like Process Monitor to watch the amount of writes to the SSD by the DisplayLink driver, then go buy a DVI cable adapter. :)