What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4

Hey everyone my question is pretty straight forward, should I buy a Surface Pro 3 now or wait till 4 comes out? I am only asking because I saw some rumors online that there will be a Surface Pro 4 coming out, but I am not sure when. Do you think with the specs of the i5 256gb model SP3 that it would be able to stand up to productivity for a few years? I am not sure how often Microsoft updates their lines or if they would wait for Windows 10 to release to debut the SP4, which Windows 10 is still a decent amount of time away.

I just logged onto Microsoft's website and noticed the price dropped for the SP3 so I am unsure if that is a sign or something Microsoft does from time to time.

"Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4" is not a question and is not a question to ask in a forum

because if you can wait for the pro 4 it means that you do not need sp3 now hence there is not a reason to buy something that you do not need hence you must wait for sp4

should i buy now something that i do not need now?this is the real question.there is not any correct answer to this question.

if i knew that sp4 is going to be released in a month i couldn't wait 1 month due to fact that i need sp3 NOW and every day

Last edited:
I've gone through 5 or 6 SP3's now (can't remember...) due to a myriad of hardware issues, and have since gone with a cheaper alternative in the form of Acer's new 11.6 inch Aspire Switch. It's an i3 with only 4gigs and 128gigs of SS, but including the Microsoft store's current black Friday sale and my student discount, it was $500 with tax. So this, I'm hoping, will suffice as I wait for the SP4, at which point I'll be following forums such as this for info on build quality, and if it's worth it to take the plunge again.

I do really love the form factor of the SP3, but issue after issue has cropped up for me, and it feels like too much of a gamble at this point. Feels a lot safer hauling around a smaller $500 hybrid, (with a much better keyboard), when I'm at Uni.

InspectHerGadget

"Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4" is not a question and is not a question to ask in a forum because if you can wait for the pro 4 it means that you do not need sp3 now hence there is not a reason to buy it hence you must wait for sp4

should i buy something that i do not need?this is the real question.

if i knew that sp4 is going to be released in a month i couldn't wait 1 month due to fact that i need sp3 NOW and every day

"Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait for 4" is not a question and is not a question to ask in a forum

because if you can wait for the pro 4 it means that you do not need sp3 now hence there is not a reason to buy something that you do not need hence you must wait for sp4

should i buy now something that i do not need now?this is the real question.there is not any correct answer to this question.

I love the Zen in this but I agree if you can ponder the question then you can wait. If you can't wait and money is a concern get the SP2 which is a great machine and you can sell it and not lose much of you buy well second hand.

B

B'midbar

I purchase the latest keep it in good condition and then trade it in and buy the next, kind of like leasing my Surface Devices :)

I recieved ~$600 for my SP2 and ~$300 for my S2 and put that towards my SP3 :D

Yep, been doing this with notebooks for over twenty years. Will do the same thing with the Surface.

otherminds

I have decided to return my SP3 and wait for the SP4... but then it occurred to me, I might as well wait for SP5.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have decided to return my SP3 and wait for the SP4... but then it occurred to me, I might as well wait for SP5.

I'm waiting for the SP4 & the SP5 in the meantime I'm keeping the SP3 at least until they come out maybe longer as I like to make real world comparisons.

macster

Count me in for waiting and two reasons are as follows:
  1. See what new features the Pro 4 has over the Pro and my Surface.
  2. I should be able to snag a Pro 3 i5/4gb/256 for a decent price.
So far the surface is "okay" for what I need to, but not for what I "want to do."

M~