What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 or wait for the new one?

dave1

Hello Martin,

SP3 is a wonderful machine but like anything else has room for improvement (hence why we expect SP4 as its next iteration). Personally I do not expect SP4 to be a significant leap forward from SP3; in fact I'd expect SP4 to be inferior in some respects such as processing power since the near-credible speculations about SP4 (as none of the rumours have been confirmed by Microsoft) have more to do with a fanless design with improved battery life - the Broadwell cpu being the drive behind this. Fanless means throttling back the clock rate to avoid over-heating. Lower clock rate is also an effective means for better battery life, in addition to other low battery techniques and technologies, be it in hardware and/or software. Hence an interesting law of physics at work here for increasing the clocking rate (for processing power), keeping the machine cool, and prolong the battery life. Not easy to attain one without negatively offsetting the other(s) with existing ic technologies. Therefore why I do not expect increased processing power from SP4 every other things being as SP3.

Assuming the processing power is about the same as SP3, perhaps the question could be - what is the deal breaker for not getting SP3 now?

- are you put off by the occasional fan noise and moderate heat dissipated by SP3?
- is the single USB3 port a deal breaker for you (assuming SP4 will overcome this limitation)?
- assuming SP4 provides mobile/cellular connectivity with LTE integration, would you consider such future-proofing as a significant investment?
- SP3 being of significant cost, can you afford to wait for SP4 for better cost-benefit analysis that better fits your needs?

On the last point, I expect SP4 to be slightly cheaper or about the same for similar major specs (RAM and disc storage sizes, bar LTE) but I could be wrong.

If the above points are not in the forefront of your thoughts (and you find a good deal on SP3) go for it. I would not consider SP4 to easily over-shadow the SP3 with its considerable processing power and beautiful design.

-- dave

zhenya

All indications are that the SP4 will continue with Broadwell U chips which will retain the same need for a fan. There should be a slight boost in speed and a 20-30% improvement in battery life. Not earth shattering, but I'd rather have it than not! No word on when or if that design will come out though.

Nuspieds

Hi Volks.

So I have a question to you guys. I`m a student and next year I will start a study. Now it`is the paper war i'm dealing with. Long story short, tablet for digital notepad and I choose the Surface.

But now I don`t know if I should buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or wait for the 4 what do you guys think?
I mean there is still no release date for the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 right?

I would be happy if you guys also talk about your opinion with your experience to use the Surface Pro 3.
Thanks for the answers.

Martin
It is January right now and I certainly wouldn't expect an SP4 before the launch of Windows 10. So, to me, you're looking at the bottom of the year.

Can what you have now keep you going until then? Be completely objective; that is, do not get carried away by the rave reviews and opinions on this site and elsewhere. Trust me, because I speak from experience: I still have my SP2 and I made a deliberate choice not to upgrade to the SP3 because the improvements were not compelling enough for me.

Nevertheless, continuing to see it advertised and to read post after post here and elsewhere about how great the device is just makes me salivate for it! :) But as I said, remain objective: The bottom line is that I have to put all those ads and posts aside because my SP2 can and will keep me going until the SP4 is released.

phlo

Hi, I'm also unsure whether to buy the SP3 or wait for the SP4.
SP3's one usb-port is not a huge problem for me (2 or more would be great though), but do you guys think the SP4 will get a matte display?
I know there aren't much matte displays out there in the tablet market, but the SP3's glossy display is the only big point, that bothers me.

~phlo

phlo

Yep, I doubt that too. But it would be the perfect product, if the SP4 will get 2 display-ports, 2 usb3.0-ports and a matte display, in that case: instant buy for me - but that is probably an unrealistic dream. Anyway, the semester won't start before April, so I'll just wait and maybe we'll get some new infos by then.

macmee

^ no idea what they're doing with the release timeline but most people are predicting that they'll do the SP4 when they do Windows 10. Flagship hardware for a flagship OS.

So that's at the end of the year.

I hope they go to the faster 10gbps USB 3.1 ports with the smaller Type C connector.

First I've heard of this - it would be pretty awkward if they actually went with 3.1 because people would need adapters for everything

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ no idea what they're doing with the release timeline but most people are predicting that they'll do the SP4 when they do Windows 10. Flagship hardware for a flagship OS.

So that's at the end of the year.

First I've heard of this - it would be pretty awkward if they actually went with 3.1 because people would need adapters for everything
With that logic we should still be using RS232 and ArcNet for fear someone would need a new cable.

Last edited:

zhenya

I think jumping straight to a new USB connector type is too radical even for the 'new' Microsoft. I would be surprised to see them at all on the SP4 unless it doesn't come until late in the year with Skylake. Maybe then they'd keep the single regular USB port and use USB 3.1 for the power connector or something.