What's new

Buying Surface Pro 3 this weekend, need advice please

OP
P

Pack3028

Agreed, I don't see one either. may be a fake site or looking at an educational or other discount.
This is just what I see when I go to the Microsoft website, I wasn't signed in and I just went to the shop tab then to surface pro 3 and this is what I saw, thats only why I asked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 1.58.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 1.58.01 PM.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 469

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is just what I see when I go to the Microsoft website, I wasn't signed in and I just went to the shop tab then to surface pro 3 and this is what I saw, thats only why I asked.
I need your link :)

But at that price its the equivalent of a free keyboard or a discount without it. win/win.

OP
P

Pack3028

I need your link :)

But at that price its the equivalent of a free keyboard or a discount without it. win/win.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3/productID.300190600

thats the link guys, I dont want anyone to think im making this up, thats why I just screen shot it too.
I was going to Best Buy tomorrow to get it because I need it or something by Monday for work then I'll be out of town for awhile, Best Buy price matches, do you think if I show them the screen shot they would for the Microsoft website?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3/productID.300190600

thats the link guys, I dont want anyone to think im making this up, thats why I just screen shot it too.
I was going to Best Buy tomorrow to get it because I need it or something by Monday for work then I'll be out of town for awhile, Best Buy price matches, do you think if I show them the screen shot they would for the Microsoft website?
I still get the 1299 price :( maybe you're the recipient of a random discount.
Can you get overnight delivery?
I suppose you could get one at BB then return it but that's a hassle. Who knows how long that magical price will last. :) id assume BB would check themselves... on a price match...
I believe you but ... anyone could photoshop a screen

OP
P

Pack3028

I still get the 1299 price :( maybe you're the recipient of a random discount.
Can you get overnight delivery?
I suppose you could get one at BB then return it but that's a hassle. Who knows how long that magical price will last. :) id assume BB would check themselves... on a price match...
I believe you but ... anyone could photoshop a screen
I understand what your saying, I am confused myself as to why it shows up that way for me, I checked the educational pricing a week ago just to see what it was but I wasn't signed in or anything and closed the browser etc so I doubt it would have saved it that way, I'm just trying to get advice for which one would be best, I have heard a lot of the i7 version overheating so it makes me a bit hesitant. With a USB hub that I have, how many external hard drives can I connect to the SP3 to run media files back and forth from, my hub has 3 USB inputs and a multi card reader on it as well, its older though so its probably USB 2.0

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand what your saying, I am confused myself as to why it shows up that way for me, I checked the educational pricing a week ago just to see what it was but I wasn't signed in or anything and closed the browser etc so I doubt it would have saved it that way, I'm just trying to get advice for which one would be best, I have heard a lot of the i7 version overheating so it makes me a bit hesitant. With a USB hub that I have, how many external hard drives can I connect to the SP3 to run media files back and forth from, my hub has 3 USB inputs and a multi card reader on it as well, its older though so its probably USB 2.0
USB port on SP3 doesn't have a lot of power. you would almost certainly require a powered USB hub. if portability is a requirement then a battery pack for powering the extras will be needed.

If you believe you really need the i7 performance, get that... plenty of people indicate they are pleased with performance. However, I didn't get that from previous posts.

OP
P

Pack3028

USB port on SP3 doesn't have a lot of power. you would almost certainly require a powered USB hub. if portability is a requirement then a battery pack for powering the extras will be needed.

If you believe you really need the i7 performance, get that... plenty of people indicate they are pleased with performance. However, I didn't get that from previous posts.
will the USB port on the SP3 be able to run one external hard drive thats 500gb ? I am leaning towards the i5 I think it should handle Adobe CC fine, my gut keeps leaning me that way too.

compnovo

will the USB port on the SP3 be able to run one external hard drive thats 500gb ? I am leaning towards the i5 I think it should handle Adobe CC fine, my gut keeps leaning me that way too.
I can tell you from personal experience: Yes, the SP3 will run an external HDD.

Grumpy2

I have a i7/8/256 and do not experience heating problems. Also the fan operates less often than my hp Touchsmart all-in-one with a 23 inch screen, i7 processor 16 gb ram and 2tb hard drive. I also have a WD 1tb hard drive attached to my SP3 through the docking station. I am more than happy with my purchase.