What's new

Solved Camera focus issue

Mazarin

I have a SP4 (i5, 8GB, 256GB) which I'm very happy with, but which has some issues. The battery problems I can see many have, but I haven't been able to find anyone having the camera issues I have (I'm sorry if I've missed any posts on this, if so please point me in the right direction, thanks).

Basically, I am unable to use the rear camera due to it constantly going in and out of focus. It's like it's trying to adjust the focus all the time. It doesn't matter if I touch the screen to focus in a particular place or not, nor does it seem to be app related. Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to solve it?

PS. Thanks for all the other good tips on this forum.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums, @Mazarin

I am guessing the lens of your rear camera has a flaw. It only takes a very minor defect in that clear cover to cause the camera focus to become unstable.

Make sure that lens is clean. If so, you probably should replace that machine.

OP
M

Mazarin

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit worrying that a complete replacement seems to be the only option. I will try to do some thorough, but gentle, cleaning and report back.

a.dg

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit worrying that a complete replacement seems to be the only option. I will try to do some thorough, but gentle, cleaning and report back.
Hello. I'm a new member. Same problem with the rear camera autofocus here (SP4, i5, 8GB, 256GB). Sometime the autofocus works very well even for several days in a row. Sometime I can hear the len moving in and out consantly and I have to close the camera APP. In the manual mode it always works perfectly. Now it's 3 days already that I have the problem with my autofocus and I cannot use the rear camera in the autofocus mode. Did you find a solution to this problem?

a.dg

Maybe I have found the solution to my problem.
This morning I unplugged the SP4 from the keyboard and I used it in tablet mode. I noticed that the autofocus worked very well. Once I plugged to keyboard again the autofocus still worked. Maybe the problem comes from the keyobard. For some reason if my SP4 stay plugged for a long time the autofocus might stop working properly. Anyway if I have to take some pictures or scan some documents I will unplug it. Hope this still can work in the future.

OP
M

Mazarin

Sorry for not updating this thread. I've seen inconsistent behavior over the past months, so I'll try your suggestion and see if I get the same result.

a.dg

Had the same problem with the autofocus this morning. I tryed to unplug my SP4 from the keyboard but this time it did not work. The autofocus doesn't work properly again even in tablet mode. Have to find another solution...

Last edited:

a.dg

After a few days of trials and errors with my rear camera autofocus I think I have found a new solution.
I disabled the camera trough UEFI (front, rear, IR) and restarted the machine. I launched the windows camera app; the camera was not found on my device.Then I re-enable the camera trough UEFI; the autofocus is now working fine. I think that disabling the camera trough UEFI might have caused it to reset.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

ronross53

Here's the fix. Go to device manager and delete the camera driver. Shut down the SP and restart it. That should correct the focus problem. It appears that the camera driver got corrupted. Restarting the SP4 will force it to discover the camera and reinstall the camera driver

OP
M

Mazarin

Have used my camera on and off for a while now, and I don't seem to have any problems anymore. I'm not exactly sure what fixed it (some update or me cleaning it about 15 times). Sorry for not being able to give a specific solution.