What's new

Camera resolution

Max91

Hi guys! Someone know what is the back camera resolution?
In OneNote the max resolution I can set is 0.9MP, but i remember that the max resolution is something like 3.5MP

tarrant64

Assuming you're talking about the device in your signature, it's only 1.2MP, front and back. Adequate for Skype but that's about it. I typically just take pictures with my phone and have it sync (OneDrive) back to my Surface Pro 2, OR use the OneNote or EverNote apps to directly snap pictures into them. It doesn't get an upgrade like the Surface 2 did, boosted to 3.5MP/5MP.

tarrant64

A lot of people don't. It was a wasted opportunity to just toss it in there but I'm sure there were reasons - none that make sense other than to make the Surface 2 more attractive if you didn't require a Pro version. The Surface RT struggled so much any new revision had to have improvements across the board - whereas the Surface Pro really just struggled in the battery life department and viewing angles. I totally agree though - might as well have had the cameras upgraded on the Pro's.

CrippsCorner

Surface 2 had a whole new case, so they decided to upgrade some things across the board. Surface Pro has the same case, therefore nothing internal was changed either. It is a shame... but as Jeff will probably pop up and say soon, the Surface 2 is their focus and 'main' project
tongue.png
Surface Pro 2 was simply made because they could.

OP
M

Max91

Sorry but I can't understand this thinking! I think that a 3.5MP camera costs to them few cents more than the one installed... If I make a hi level device I will provide better hardware than the entry level, specially if this hardware has a ridiculous extra charge

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surface 2 had a whole new case, so they decided to upgrade some things across the board. Surface Pro has the same case, therefore nothing internal was changed either. It is a shame... but as Jeff will probably pop up and say soon, the Surface 2 is their focus and 'main' project
tongue.png
Surface Pro 2 was simply made because they could.

Who me?!?!? ;) It is true...with that said it is very different use cases, the Surface 2 is deemed to be the carry everywhere device so more likely to take photos with the rear facing camera, and the front facing camera was created specifically for Video Calls through Skype (and works well with the Lync Mobile Client). The Pro 2 updates were designed specifically around Enterprise Mobile Client needs, improved antenna array (shared with the Surface 2), with the introduction of the 4300U it added VPro support, etc.

CrippsCorner

Sorry but I can't understand this thinking! I think that a 3.5MP camera costs to them few cents more than the one installed... If I make a hi level device I will provide better hardware than the entry level, specially if this hardware has a ridiculous extra charge

If you made a high level device you would, if I made a high level device I would too... but we should know by now that Microsoft doesn't think like normal people
LOL.png