What's new

Camera unable to focus on sheet of paper

JesseDiaz

If Im disappointed with anything on the SP3, its the fact that they missed on little things like this. The SP3 is a LUXY tablet the way I see it ( especially with the price tag on it! ). As such, I don't expect these little things to pop up.

Liam2349

I didn't know the SP3 lacked auto focus. I really believe that I'll end up sticking with SP2, but I will at least trial the SP3.

az1787

For me as teacher it is inexcusble that a Luxy TabletPC lile SP3 has a camera so bad! I'm going to send back the SP3 because I can't use my lumia at school and Microsoft have to offer a better camera in a educational TabletPC such as in the ThinkPad Tablet 10 (8mgpx, autofocus, flash led) or such as new Lumia 830. Please Microsoft, improve the camera! I & my italian teachers friends will buy next SP4!
At moment I'll keep my Asus Note 8 that I was leaving for SP3. It has a better camera for school book & wacom for only 299$.

~X.T.~

Anyone own the Sony QX series lens-style cameras? I heard there's an app that allows Windows 8.1 devices to connect to them, M2 Sony Camera Remote if I'm not mistaken.

Or is there a way to make the official PlayMemories Mobile app installable on anything other than Sony's Win8 tablets?

If it works, ohhhh boy~~

az1787

With a professional TabletPc like SP3, Microsoft have to give us an autofocus camera! We have not to buy lens etc., becausa Microsoft was able to give a camera to digitilize doc in SP2, and now Microsoft have to give us that in near future! I'm returning my i3 SP3, I'm very afraid, but it's inexcusable. As a teacher, in classroom, I can't use my phone.

Telstar1948

Microsoft choose to use a fixed focus camera on the SP3, it is hit and miss but I have used it to take a scan of a document and have most of it readable, but I prefer using the Office Lens app on Windows Phone much better....

Appreciate the tip about Office Lens app...didn't know about it, and it's slick!

bluegrass

No doubt about it. The camera isn't good. I found it couldn't focus well on items less then a foot away. My thinking is the only good use for a camera on the tablet would be for Skype and not for shooting pictures or videos. I carry a pretty decent camera in my pocket on my Nokia. Not a big deal at all for me. They can leave it off for all I care.

79jonesy

I am so disappointed with the camera. Having moved over from Apple I have thoroughly enjoyed the SP3. Windows 8.1 has been great (not sure what all the grumbles were about?) I can put up with the fans blazing from time to time and the yellow band that lingers on the left of my screen but the camera leaves me exasperated. This would have been the perfect machine. Snapping an image of a document in a meeting and inking on to it was the dream. That was shattered by the fixed focus camera! Feel slightly hoodwinked by Panay at the SP3 launch - taking a photo of the surface sign and inking on to it after saying how 'gorgeous' the cameras were. I now know why he didn't do that with a document. For a premium device it is inexcusable and destroys the workflow it was almost designed for. Did someone forget to speak to Microsoft Nokia!?!

kundas1

Microsoft choose to use a fixed focus camera on the SP3, it is hit and miss but I have used it to take a scan of a document and have most of it readable, but I prefer using the Office Lens app on Windows Phone much better....

Office lens app is for windows phone only? or can we install it on our SP3?

kundas1

Man I have to get a windows phone! hey Jeff u got a spare one laying around that you're not using you can give me? LOL :D