What's new

Can 360-degree Youtube videos work on the SP3?

Moggeth

I watched a 360-degree YouTube video on my phone and loved it, I want to do the same with my Surface Pro 3 if possible. Does anyone know if it can be done?

Thank you :)

OP
M

Moggeth

I did look through the annotations/resolution etc. area but couldn't find it, do you know what I'd have to do to be able to pick it up and look around like a regular phone/tablet?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to the warning that you cant watch a 360 degree video you must have one of the following to do so:
1. Desktop Chrome,
2. YouTube App for iOS,
3. YouTube App for Android.

It's a Google thing. With Google it's all about them all the time, if you aren't locked into their software you cant' play. but you knew that already. :)

360 degree videos
To watch 360 degree videos, you'll need the latest version of desktop Chrome or YouTube app for Android or iOS.
YouTube supports uploading and playback of 360 degree spherical videos on desktop Chrome. In order to upload a 360 degree video file, you'll need to modify the file with an app or script before uploading.

You can also watch 360 degree videos on YouTube apps for Android and iOS. For an immersive experience, you can even watch 360 degree videos with Cardboard and the YouTube Android app.

OP
M

Moggeth

Thanks for replying GreyFox7, I am using Chrome and moving my Surface after clicking play but it doesn't rotate naturally like my android phone.

Has anyone done this before with a Surface Pro or heard of it happening?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for replying GreyFox7, I am using Chrome and moving my Surface after clicking play but it doesn't rotate naturally like my android phone.

That would be an application implementation issue, such as how the accelerometer and or gyroscope is used. Report defect to application owner.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

It would not surprise me if google is working on the assumption that only tablet's would be used in such a manner, and why would they then support windows tablets which would possibly eat at their android tablet market share? aside from annoying the odd windows tablet user, it seems to make sense from a business point of view. There has constantly been issues with this company or that not properly supporting one platform or the other.