What's new

Can I attach a monitor and keyboard to a Pro 3?

jbates99

Hi, I'm an old guy and I like using a "real" keyboard, mouse and monitor. When I'm home, I would want to plug the Surface Pro 3 to my large monitor and keyboard.
Obviously I have not bought yet. Can I do that and are any "adapters" required for attaching keyboard and monitor? Thanks, John

malberttoo

Hi, I'm an old guy and I like using a "real" keyboard, mouse and monitor. When I'm home, I would want to plug the Surface Pro 3 to my large monitor and keyboard.
Obviously I have not bought yet. Can I do that and are any "adapters" required for attaching keyboard and monitor? Thanks, John

Hi John, welcome.

The SP3 has a single USB port, so your full-size USB keyboard will work fine.

For video, it has a Mini DisplayPort. So you will probably need to get an adapter to whichever format works with your monitor- DVI, VGA, or HDMI. Or DisplayPort of course if your monitor supports that.

There are plenty of these adapters to be found on Amazon, etc.

OP
J

jbates99

Thanks Michael. I'm trying to avoid getting a laptop and leap to the next generation but still have doubts. I use my computer mostly for business purposes - to remote into the office, use Excel, Word and use email, browse the web. I might even install SQL Server database software on it.
Would using a USB port slow down the keyboard strokes?
Thanks, John

kundas1

No using the USB hub will not slow down the keystrokes, it should type smoothly as you would on a desktop or laptop. and welcome to the forum!

ScottyS

Welcome to the Surface Pro John.
I've been using a powered 9 port USB hub (Satechi 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub (9 Port USB 3.0 + 1 iPad Charging Port) 5 Volt, 5 Amp) since the Surface Pro came out (now have SP3). I have a Logitech wireless (USB) lighted keyboard and Microsoft wireless USB mouse. I also plug several portable HDs and a DVD burner in to the hub. I also use a Logitech Bluetooth Ultra Thin mouse when I take the Surface to work.

Another way to go, though, would be to get Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That way you can take them with you if you travel and not have to worry about the single USB port on the SP3.

For your monitor, check what inputs it takes as malberttoo said. I don't know what resolution you monitor is, but one of the unbelievable features of the Surface is while the SP1 has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, it can output via Displayport up to 2560 x 1440 so I got a monitor that will run that res. The SP3 has a screen resolution of 2160 x 1440 but can output up to 4096 x 2304. When I was using the SP1 going from it's 1920 x 1080 screen to my 2560 x 1440 monitor, the icons on the desktop move around. With the SP3's screen res close to my monitor's res, there's very little icon movement each time I plug it in.

malberttoo

Thanks Michael. I'm trying to avoid getting a laptop and leap to the next generation but still have doubts. I use my computer mostly for business purposes - to remote into the office, use Excel, Word and use email, browse the web. I might even install SQL Server database software on it.
Would using a USB port slow down the keyboard strokes?
Thanks, John

Well the best I can tell you is to buy one from a place that offers a return period. For instance if you bought one from a Microsoft Store, you'd have 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't like it.

Then during that 30 days just do your best to put it through its paces and ask lots of questions here on the forum. If you decide to keep it, then cool. If not, then at least you know for sure you don't want it, and why. Which I think is better than the alternative of not getting one and always wondering... :D

Hope it helps.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A nice solution for this is a USB 3.0 Docking station.
Pluggable and Targus are good examples. Once you have it setup all you have to do is plug in the USB cable to connect wired Ethernet, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, external HDD and DVD drives. Need to go somewhere just unplug the USB cable and go, no need to do anything else.

Last edited:

Antitoon

@jbates99: why not buying the official SP3 docking station? You sound like the kind of user who would profit from that. If the price is not a problem, the official should be better than any USB based docking station, as it uses a dedicated and faster bus.

mohcho

+1 for the Plugable USB dock. I have the UD-3900 that supports dual monitor and I have a "REAL" IBM Model M keyboard hooked up to the dock and it works great. The only thing I plug into the SP3 is the one USB cable from the dock and the power plug.

unruledboy

bluetooth mouse/keyboard

use mini DisplayPort for video output.

if only 1 monitor then it doesn't matter what brand or model or even interface, as long as the mini DisplayPort -> xxx adaptor is align with your monitor.

if more than 1 monitors, then consider using monitors with DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining support.

bluegrass

Since your an old fart like me you must be familiar with the old reply to question like yours, "Does a bear s@#& in the woods".