What's new

Can I disable the Power button while keyboard lid is closed?

Gamerguy92

Hey guys, I just got a Surface Pro 3 i5 (with the keyboard attachment) and while I've been enjoying it, there's something that has come to my attention.

I've noticed that while my Surface's power is shut off and keyboard lid is closed, tapping the power button still boots up the system and turns the screen on. This concerns me, as the carrying case is quite tight and I fear it may turn on accidentally while inside, which would undoubtedly burn up the system since the vents would be blocked...

So my question is, is there a way to disable the power button while the keyboard lid is closed? Is it even supposed to be doing this? My operating system is Windows 10 and I have all the updates.

Thank you :)

kundas1

there is no way to disable the power button when KB is closed... that would defeat the purpose of having the power button.

stustaff

what? of course it wouldn't defeat the point!

1 it means with cover closed and sp3 in a case it wouldn't get turned on by accident.

2. why would you want it to turn the device on if the screen is covered?

I don't have a type cover but wish I could disable power button its behaviour design is stupid.

I have carried an iPad in my case for years and not had one issue with it turning itself on. I have had my surface for a week and had it happen twice and open case to a hot surface and an almost dead battery.

I'd like the ability to have to press volume up and power to take it to behonest

kundas1

but there is NO WAY to do that without disabling the button permanently... its hard wired!! so YES it defeats the purpose of having a power button! its not like a capacitive button (like the windows logo button) where you can program it to do what you want with it... get it? ;)

stustaff

NO WAY ok discussion over then I guess.

Or we could think a little outside the box?
What if the surface on receiving the hardwired power on then checked once on if volume up button also held down... if it isn't go back into standby as one example.

Having the ability to modify how the system reacts to the HARDWIRED power button after the initial power signal is possible no?

Daniel Weck

I agree about the problem of turning the Surface on "by mistake", because of pressing the power button unintentionally (e.g. when carrying the tablet in a bag, etc.) This is really annoying, as it can drain the battery, or worse: overheat the tablet when Windows is performing background tasks at idle (disk cleanup, windows update, etc.) ... imagine the fan spinning hard, blowing hot air inside a closed bag!

The bottom line is: the power button reacts "too quickly", instead the system should wait for a long press (as the iPad does).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A U-shaped rubber clip or clasp of some sort could be used to deliberately cover the button. Must not become a hazard to the screen, though.

And @stustaff , Sometimes I press the power button while the screen is covered so that I can use the Surface Pro 3 Network (printer server, etc., or have it available for remote login). Need to power up, but no need to login locally.

stustaff

A U-shaped rubber clip or clasp of some sort could be used to deliberately cover the button. Must not become a hazard to the screen, though.

And @stustaff , Sometimes I press the power button while the screen is covered so that I can use the Surface Pro 3 Network (printer server, etc., or have it available for remote login). Need to power up, but no need to login locally.

good points!

so essentially we need something configurable to the user.
an actual hardware solution isn't a bad idea if anyone has access to a3d printer could be a nice little project HINT

olimjj

@Gamerguy92
Here is the same mod on the SP3 mod2.jpg

malberttoo

Yes, huge issue for me. I'm a broken record now I know, but having an inverted or recessed power button on the SP4 would be so awesome.

stephen wright

there is no way to disable the power button when KB is closed... that would defeat the purpose of having the power button.

Hey guys, I just got a Surface Pro 3 i5 (with the keyboard attachment) and while I've been enjoying it, there's something that has come to my attention.

I've noticed that while my Surface's power is shut off and keyboard lid is closed, tapping the power button still boots up the system and turns the screen on. This concerns me, as the carrying case is quite tight and I fear it may turn on accidentally while inside, which would undoubtedly burn up the system since the vents would be blocked...

So my question is, is there a way to disable the power button while the keyboard lid is closed? Is it even supposed to be doing this? My operating system is Windows 10 and I have all the updates.

Thank you :)