Can I take my Surface to Microsoft Store for support if I didn't buy it from there?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Book' started by baydude, Mar 19, 2016.

1. baydude

baydude Member

It's registered and still under warranty. Can I take it to the MS store or do I need to call tech support?

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    If you have a Store you can take it to that's the way to go. They will take care of it.

3. flar

flar Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    For the record I bought my SB at Best Buy, and I just had a very positive experience at an MS store. My SB recently developed some pretty bad light bleeding right around the top center of the screen - near the camera. I took it in to the MS store expecting to have to fight for a replacement, but it was quick, painless, and very hassle-free. Basically the conversation went:

Hi, my name is XXX, may I ask your name?
    Jim
    Hi Jim, what's the problem?
    I have some light bleed, let me show you (shows the screen).
    (MS employee glances at screen) Yes, that's pretty bad, let's get you a replacement. I'll be right back and YYY can help you if you have any questions while I get a new machine. (heads off to grab a brand new SB)

At that point another employee came up to me to ask if they could get me anything while I waited and went and brewed some hot green tea for me. We were about half way through the return process before he even asked where I bought it and didn't balk at all when I told him Best Buy.

Orlbuckeye likes this.
  4. baydude

baydude Member

Here's my experience w/ the MS Store support..

I bought my SB brand new from eBay a few weeks ago w/ 30 day return guarantee and everything was running fine until constant crashes so decided to reset to factory but was having issues w/ recovery. I took my SB to the MS Store this weekend and told them of a problem going into UEFI and running a recovery from USB. The guy spent 15 minutes on my SB and said he's having issues w/ changing the boot order in UEFI and asked if I could still return it to eBay or I could leave the device at the store for a few days so they could try some other methods.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I have personally had nothing but good experiences when going into the Microsoft Store regardless of where my device was purchased as long as it was still in warranty.

6. bangsters

bangsters Member

yes you can. i got mine at CDW and had it serviced at MS store

7. baydude

baydude Member

Update:

The tech at MS Store couldn't fix it so I went in w/ my old charger and pen and they exchanged it for a brand new one. Also bought the protection plan since I bought it from eBay new within 45 days. Kudos to MS Store.

I guess my issue is an outlier because from all the googling I did the consensus seems to be either Recovery Image or Win10 ISO should work.