What's new

Can I Voice Type?

I discovered that the on-board mic will work with Naturally Speaking but its just not that good.

On the plus side, you can use your combination headphones/microphone that you would use for phone calls and it works. That might be best option or blue tooth -- but I like wired for NS.

malberttoo

I believe you can already do some things like this with Cortana, but I'm not sure. I would be very surprised if you couldn't user her in the near future for dictation. And I would expect hers to be a better experience as her results will be rendered server-side over an Internet connection, instead of the local method on the machine itself.

HeavyHanded

Yes. That is what I mean, Malbertoo. Using Cortana as a dictation assistant. I haven't tried the beta of Win 10, and those that have, haven't mentioned this as a feature (I'm sure most of the tech pundits who test it have no interest in real productivity). I can only hope!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Cortana works well for things like - "Hey Cortana, what appointments do I have today?" or "Hey Cortana, remind me to do "X" at 2:00PM Today"....she is also good at things like commute reminders, package and flight tracking, etc.

She can also launch programs and as more applications become Cortana enabled she'll do more....

I am a heavy Dragon user and would be interested in trying server mediated speech recognition but if you have a solid desktop PC and a good mic Dragon is fast and works great.

I installed Dragon Nat Speaking but am having trouble setting up the microphone. It does not want to use the internal microphone or does not recognize it. Has anyone set it up before? If I had to I might be able to use a USB headset but would like to be able to use the internal microphone. Thanks!

I'm using the Plantronics Legend and Dragon Speaking 14 and it is very difficult to configure.

Trying to tune off windows 10 default speech recognition , but still itis not functional

Anyone had any successes

lepatron

Yes you can use speech recognition it has been built into Windows since at least Windows 2000, and since Vista it has used Dragon Naturally Speaking's engine.

Hi, I am new as of today and don't know where to post a question. But just saw this and thought you would know. I have used Dragon NS for a long time on win7 but I just bought my SP3 two months ago and just updated to win 10. Will Dragon work on this system? There site doesn't list win 10 and I want to be sure before I buy it.

Thank You,

John

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I am new as of today and don't know where to post a question. But just saw this and thought you would know. I have used Dragon NS for a long time on win7 but I just bought my SP3 two months ago and just updated to win 10. Will Dragon work on this system? There site doesn't list win 10 and I want to be sure before I buy it.

Thank You,

John
It should... but I've not installed it.

HeavyHanded

It is kind of sad that in 2015, when Android and iOS allow you to voice type (dictate) into almost every text box or text editor, without training or hassle, Microsoft is still using the old Speech Recognition software from Windows Vista. Cortana should a dictation engine. One thing I use my iPad for is dictating in ideas, rough scripts, before typing up the final documents on my PC.