What's new

Can Microsoft make a pen that is 100% reliable?

OP
G

Gizmo2005

Version 1903. I will try what you suggest.

Nope. It didn't work. But here's what did work. After doing the instructions above. I removed batteries from both pens (both old with two buttons and new with one button). I removed the Surface pen from set up. Then paired the old pen. I got it to connect, but the old pen won't write. But the new pen does write. I've had this happen before, so I know it's a matter of time before it won't work again and I have to start all over.

OP
G

Gizmo2005

....then of course, I closed the lid as I went to a meeting. Came back 20 minutes later, opened the lid, and the pen doesn't write again.....

This is what I mean by 'Unreliable'.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does the pen even work for selecting things on the screen … drawing selection rectangles, etc?

OP
G

Gizmo2005

When it works, all I do is write with it. But if it's DOA, like it is right now, you can't do nothing with it. It won't close apps. It's pretty much non responsive with the screen. The only thing that works is by tapping on the eraser, it does open an app.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If finger touch, and writing with your finger both work perfectly, you may indeed have a defective Surface Pen (one-button model).

OP
G

Gizmo2005

Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "Writing with your finger work perfectly?". I don't write with my fingers. Sure the screen responds to the touch, but I can't write on OneNote or any other note taking apps using my fingers.

As for the failure of the pens, I can understand if one Pen fails. But the odds of having BOTH of them fail? I don't know about that.

As I was writing this, I remember I had a 3rd pen. It's a 3rd party pen. It doesn't even have the eraser on the top. It just has the two side buttons. Anyways, I don't use this pen anymore because the tip is missing. So I take that out (didn't even try to unpair or pair). I just took out the tip from Pen 2 (two button) and put it in the Pen 3. And it works. I put the tip back in Pen 2 and it still doesn't work. Tested Pen 1 and that doesn't work either. I removed the tip from Pen 1 and put it in Pen 3...it works (see attachment).

That's how screwed up this thing is. I can't even try to explain.

Attachments

• Surface Pen.jpg
    Surface Pen.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 448
OP
G

Gizmo2005

I should follow up by saying that it's Day 3 and the 3rd party pen still works like a charm. I've even brought it to a customer meeting and used it without issues. So the two Microsoft Surface Pen are not working, while my $40 3rd party pens works.

Wevenhuis

Hi I have a surface pro 5 running the latest official version of windows 10. Around march, my surface pen didn't work anymore and I saw no bluetooth connection. the battery liked died after 18 months of normal use and using the surface pen regularly to write. Due to the lockdown I didn't get around to replacing the battery untill today. Bought a fresh pair of AAAA batteries. To my surprised nothing happens. I see no LED lighting up after pressing the pen for 5-7 seconds, according to Microsoft's surface pen help page. Tried connecting it with bluetooth anyway on my surface pro with the bluetooth settings in the Settings app, still seeing no device appear. I see no problem or damage to the old batteries. Nothing seems wrong with the new batteries. Checked all the pin and connectors visually, but on the "surface" I see no mechanical defects in and out. I've been careful with my surface pen in the last 18 months. It's a true mystery why I can't get it up and running. That no light appears I can imagine possibly a defect LED, but in theory shouldn't hinder the overall functionality of the device, in my mind.

Any ideas what could be the root cause?