What's new

Can someone explain Miracast and streaming tech with surface?

nipponham

Can someone explain can i stream movies\etc to my smart tv(wifi) without additional equipment, or i need to buy mDP-hdmi cable\wireless display adapter?
It would help if you gave us as much information as possible to work with. What is the make and model of your TV?

Arizona Willie

I have a 2014 Sony XBR55850B UDH tv and have tried for months to get the Surface Pro I to stream to the tv.

I put the tv on Mirror Input and tell the Surface to project to the Bravia and, when the wind is right and I have made the correct offerings to the gods, the Start screen shows up on the TV for two seconds and then the TV goes black. It is still in mirror mode but is not getting a signal, apparently.

They claim you have to buy an adapter but if that is the case, how does the Start screen on the Surface Pro appear on the TV screen at all? It obviously works with an adapter for two seconds so what is stopping it?

Neither Microsoft nor Sony can be bothered figuring out what is wrong.
It doesn't seem to be Sony's problem since it DOES show the signal when it gets one.

Rather it appears to be a Microsoft problem and Microsoft just wants to sell you an adapter to make it work instead of fixing whatever is stopping the Miracast from continuing to work. It is almost like Microsoft has deliberately disabled the Miracast in order to force you to buy an adapter too.

zhenya

Given that there are numerous other, non-Microsoft devices reported as working, the fault almost certainly lies with Sony's implementation. If it were a Microsoft problem, none of these other devices would be working either.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2014 Sony XBR55850B UDH tv and have tried for months to get the Surface Pro I to stream to the tv.

I put the tv on Mirror Input and tell the Surface to project to the Bravia and, when the wind is right and I have made the correct offerings to the gods, the Start screen shows up on the TV for two seconds and then the TV goes black. It is still in mirror mode but is not getting a signal, apparently.

They claim you have to buy an adapter but if that is the case, how does the Start screen on the Surface Pro appear on the TV screen at all? It obviously works with an adapter for two seconds so what is stopping it?

Neither Microsoft nor Sony can be bothered figuring out what is wrong.
It doesn't seem to be Sony's problem since it DOES show the signal when it gets one.

Rather it appears to be a Microsoft problem and Microsoft just wants to sell you an adapter to make it work instead of fixing whatever is stopping the Miracast from continuing to work. It is almost like Microsoft has deliberately disabled the Miracast in order to force you to buy an adapter too.
Willy this is the same thing you post on every thread dealing with Miracast with the same accusations. The fact that it works on other TVs and adapters it points more to a Sony issue. So far the only reports I've seen are on Sony TVs and one particular line of Samsung TVs.

zhenya

And this is the perfect example of why I see no value in bundling 'smart' functions into a tv. For $30 you can have a choice of third-party systems that are more powerful, updated regularly, and work more reliably.

JohnR

I have to say I gave up on wireless connection to Sony TV sets after trying it for couple of days.

I have Sony BRAVIA XBR-49X850B (bought mid January 2015) and BRAVIA KDL-50W800B (bought last week). Connection problems I experienced are not very consistent if we consider the fact both TV sets are from the same manufacturer and the specs highlighted in the Network Features are identical. This make me believe the problem is not caused by Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter but Sony is to blame for half baked firmware/hardware used in their products.

This what I tried last couple of days:

On XBR-49X850B using Mirror Input option failed for all devices I tried to used:
- DELL ALIENWARE 18" laptop
- SP3 (i7/256GB)
- Samsung Galaxy Note II phone
When tried to connect to the XBR-49X850B with Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter all three devices were able to connect without any problems and all worked extremely well. I didn't see any lag or any kind of delays, the replication was instant, if I would have to score I would give 10 out of 10.

The same exercise on the KDL-50W800B was not quite the same. When tried Mirror Input option I was able to connect to TV set from all devices but the connection was always dropped after few minutes. The device which last connected the longest was Samsung phone, I was able to stay connected for +/-7 minutes. The connection on the SP3 was usually dropped after couple minutes. The DELL was somewhere between but bottom line is none of them were able to produce solid and reliable connection. I tried the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter on the KDL-50W800B and all devices failed to connect.

This is a list of network features for each TV set which was COPY/PASTE from Sony Canada website:

BRAVIA XBR-49X850B Network Features:
Wi-Fi Standard : a/b/g/n
Wi-Fi Frequency : 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz (for Wi-Fi Direct / Screen mirroring: 2.4Ghz Only)
Wi-Fi Direct : Yes
Skype™ : Integrated
Internet EPG : Yes
TV Tweet : Yes
One-touch mirroring : Yes
TV SideView™ : Yes
Screen mirroring(Miracast) : Yes
Related Search : Yes
Search : Yes
One-Flick entertainment : Yes
Social Viewing : Yes (Skype & Tweet)
X2 Widget (System) : Yes
Photo Sharing Plus / Photo Share : Yes
Net AD : Yes (depends on ad provider)
Seamless Streaming : Yes
DLNA Content : MPEG1 / MPEG2 PS / MPEG2TS / AVCHD / MP4Part10 / MP4Part2 / AVI(XVID) / AVI(MotionJpeg) / MOV / WMV / MKV / WEBM / 3GPP / MP3 / WMA / LPCM / JPEG / MPO
Sony Entertainment Network : Yes
Wireless LAN : Integrated
Opera Apps (System) : Yes
Wi-Fi Certified : Yes
Internet Browser : Yes (Opera)

BRAVIA KDL-50W800B Network Features:
Wi-Fi Standard : a/b/g/n
Wi-Fi Frequency : 2.4Ghz/5Ghz (for Wi-Fi Direct / Screen mirroring: 2.4Ghz Only)
Wi-Fi Direct : Yes
Skype™ : Ready
Internet EPG : Yes
TV Tweet : Yes
One-touch mirroring : Yes
TV SideView™ : Yes
Screen mirroring(Miracast) : Yes
Related Search : Yes
Search : Yes
One-Flick entertainment : Yes
Social Viewing : Yes (Tweet only)
Photo Sharing Plus / Photo Share : Yes
Net AD : Yes (depends on ad provider)
Seamless Streaming : Yes
DLNA Content : MPEG1 / MPEG2PS / MPEG2TS / AVCHD / MP4Part10 / MP4Part2 / AVI(XVID) / AVI(MotinJpeg) / MOV / WMV / MKV / WEBM / 3GPP / MP3 / WMA / LPCM / JPEG / MPO
Sony Entertainment Network : Yes
Wireless LAN : Integrated
Opera Apps (System) : Yes
Wi-Fi Certified : Yes
Internet Browser : Yes (Opera)

Arizona Willie

If it is Sony at fault, how come the Start screen from the Surface Pro appears for 2 seconds and then the TV remains in Mirror mode but the screen goes black? It seems to not be getting a signal. When it had the signal it showed the Start screen.

Where did the signal go?

Who is responsible for stopping the signal from being displayed?

People report the same kind of problem with Samsung TV's.

So did two brands of TV's decide to block the signal from Microsoft OS's?

Or did one manufacturer of tablets decide to alter their signal so a 3rd party device was needed to " unscramble " it?

Since it works if ran through a Microsoft or 3rd party adapter just what does the 3rd party adapter do to make the signal work?

How did the signal change so that it works only for 2 seconds and then needs an adapter?

The biggest problem is that people have been complaining since last year about this --- if not before --- and none of the parties involved ( Microsoft and Sony / Samsung ) seem to give a damn.

I reckon they have our money so they don't need to care, eh?

They don't seem to be doing any thing about it on either end.

And, yes, I throw in my opinion whenever the subject of Miracast comes up. Isn't this a discussion board where people express their opinion(s)?

Willy this is the same thing you post on every thread dealing with Miracast with the same accusations. The fact that it works on other TVs and adapters it points more to a Sony issue. So far the only reports I've seen are on Sony TVs and one particular line of Samsung TVs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is Sony at fault, how come the Start screen from the Surface Pro appears for 2 seconds and then the TV remains in Mirror mode but the screen goes black? It seems to not be getting a signal. When it had the signal it showed the Start screen.

Where did the signal go?

Or did one manufacturer of tablets decide to alter their signal so a 3rd party device was needed to " unscramble " it?

Since it works if ran through a Microsoft or 3rd party adapter just what does the 3rd party adapter do to make the signal work?

How did the signal change so that it works only for 2 seconds and then needs an adapter?

The biggest problem is that people have been complaining since last year about this --- if not before --- and none of the parties involved ( Microsoft and Sony / Samsung ) seem to give a damn.

And, yes, I throw in my opinion whenever the subject of Miracast comes up. Isn't this a discussion board where people express their opinion(s)?
According to the write up the Receiver must request information from the Sender. I guess Sony stopped asking after 2 seconds.

zhenya

Where did the signal go?

Still doesn't hold water because there are plenty of 3rd party devices that work fine. The communication is bidirectional. Microsoft obviously has their side down because other products work, including devices available for as little as $30. It's clearly Sony that has dropped the ball here.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Where did the signal go?

You have chosen for what ever reason that its Microsoft's fault but it up to the Miracast Receiver to not only accept but also render the video single, the fact that works for a second says your device is sending a compatible single but your TV is not rendering it (which I'll assume is the Whitelisting I've mentioned previously). You picked the wrong villain.... Sony needs to update their Firmware to make it work with non-Android devices.

nipponham

Nice TV! Your model supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Go into settings and set it to 2.4Ghz only. (Default should be "Auto".) Screen mirroring only works on that frequency. See if that helps.

ETA: Although my TV isn't a Sony, my Blu-ray player is, and I'm assuming they would both use the same screencast technology. I know this won't help you but I can do Screen mirroring with the BD player and SP3, no problem.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Doesn't the choice of frequency only apply to how it connects to your wireless network?

When it goes into Mirror mode it says it is disconnected from the wireless network and won't be able to connect to the internet again until you have exited mirror mode.

I will try changing it so it connect to the wireless network at 2.4 and see what happens though, just out of curiosity.

Nice TV! Your model supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Go into settings and set it to 2.4Ghz only. (Default should be "Auto".) Screen mirroring only works on that frequency. See if that helps.

ETA: Although my TV isn't a Sony, my Blu-ray player is, and I'm assuming they would both use the same screencast technology. I know this won't help you but I can do Screen mirroring with the BD player and SP3, no problem.