What's new

Can the lower power surface charger work on a pro?

godson594

I just need a cheap charger to keep at work, I don't care about the USB port here at work but I need something I can keep plugged into my SP2 so it doesn't die..

Would it work okay?

Sorry if this has been asked I couldn't find the answer

polbit

Excellent question actually, I'm wondering too :) I just traded in my Surface RT at BB to get my SP2, and kept the charger. I wonder if I can use the RT charger safely (would be great at work as a trickle charger...)

polbit

Well, the SP1 and 2 chargers are 48W, while RT is 24W and much smaller. Normally I would just try it, but I have had a bad experience :) My wife has a 13" MBP and I have the 15". 13" comes with a smaller charger, and one night I was using my 15" to edit a movie, and accidentally plugged her charger in. It overheated in 30 minutes and was a good conversation piece at the Apple Store...

TrentonT

Just got the surface 24W charger today (did not want to travel with the monster that comes with Pro 2)
Use the Pro 2 charger at Home and office
Travel with the little guy.
Takes a little longer o top up but not a problem.

OP
G

godson594

Just got the surface 24W charger today (did not want to travel with the monster that comes with Pro 2)
Use the Pro 2 charger at Home and office
Travel with the little guy.
Takes a little longer o top up but not a problem.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to hear ;)

If it works I am going for this one , my out of stock charger has started to give me errors now and again , thinking of keeping a backup if the stock charger fails , cant risk being out of charger.

yeewiz

I was working with Surface tech support recently on my SP2. I asked if I could use the RT charger on my SP2. He said sure, but will only charge at 1/2 speed. He also said I could use the SP2 charger on my RT. Since I have both, I've used both chargers on either machines. No apparent issues so far.