What's new

Can you run Oracle VM Virtualbox?

I have the SP2 with the i5 4200u. Is it possible to run the VM Virtualbox? I mean I tried installing another OS (Mac) and it gets hungup on the mac startup screen with the busy spinner. I know it requires virtualization support, but I thought the SP2 came with that?

agt499

From my reading of starstreak's question, it's about running an OSX guest in Virtualbox hosted on an SP2.
Those instructions are about getting the virtualbox host working on OSX.
My SP3 runs Virtualbox happily with XP or Linux guest OS, and the fact that startstreak gets as far as the 'startup spinner' suggests that vbox is running OK.

I suspect that the problem is really that Apple doesn't support running OSX in a VM on other platforms. From what I understand they really want you using their hardware, so to make that work you'll need to search for requirements to run OSX as Virtualbox guest, as it seems like your SP2 is already working fine.
(You could test that by downloading and running a lightweight linux).

OP
S

starstreak

Thanks I'll check. I had someone help me with this. It waqs running on a windows desktop. And he gave me the files to install on the surface and showed me what settings on the vmbox. But when I run it, it still looks like it hangs on the apple loading screen. I thought I read somewhere that the 1st run of SP2Pro doesn't support the VM but now I can't find that topic.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't Virtualbox complain during installation or after if something was was not enabled?