What's new

Can you run out of storage from installing updates?

qwertyy

So I bought a 64GB SP2, and I was installing the Windows update and realized that the available space is only 27GB of 53.3GB...

This is cool with me because I'm going to be using this device only as a note-taking tablet. However, I'm really worried about the future updates. How often do they release new updates? and can my SP2 eventually run out of space from installing the updates?

I'm not sure if I should spend just $90 more and get the 128GB one. I'm worried about getting a defective device :( the one I have now is perfect.. other than the storage problem.

Garyjk

you can always run disk cleanup:
in control panel, type cleanup in the search box
click on free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files
with the c drive selected, click ok
you can clean up some space in the resulting dialog.
but, click the cleanup system files button
click ok with the c drive selected and wait until it's done processing
(you'll see it says scanning: windows update cleanup at some point)
in the resulting dialog, you will see how much space can be reclaimed.

daniielrp

Windows is particularly bad for this kind of thing, but as mentioned above there are steps you can take, but I've seen Win7 installs to b3 30-40GB in size after years of updates, I hope Win 8.1 does not do the same a few years down the line...

OP
Q

qwertyy

you can always run disk cleanup:
in control panel, type cleanup in the search box
click on free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files
with the c drive selected, click ok
you can clean up some space in the resulting dialog.
but, click the cleanup system files button
click ok with the c drive selected and wait until it's done processing
(you'll see it says scanning: windows update cleanup at some point)
in the resulting dialog, you will see how much space can be reclaimed.

Thank you. I will try this.

OP
Q

qwertyy

After running the disk cleanup, I was able to get ~1.50 GB back. I really appreciate it! However, will the future updates take up more and more space or does it replace the older updates?

OP
Q

qwertyy

Its not going to use that much space for updates and you can always add a micro SD card.

Would you mind explaining what the microSD card does? If I plug it into my surface pro 2, is it going to increase the storage capacity of the C drive?

kundas1

also what you can do is back up the restore partition on a USB and then delete it and it will give you back 7 or 8GB of space...that what I did on mine